cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Surround sound

Hi all,

Just signed up for the trial after seeing the app on the App Store. The lack of surround is a real deal breaker for me - am I doing something wrong? Is this going to be fixed?

Many thanks,

Ben.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

NOW TV doesn't support surround sound on any device I'm afraid, so you're not doing anything wrong. The best you can do is select a pseudo-surround processing mode such as Dolby ProLogic II/IIx when watching (if your amp has the ability). It's listenable but obviously not ideal. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Sadly, Dolby Digital bit-stream (ie: discrete) 'surround sound' audio is currently not available via the NOW TV service. This being the case, many of us use our surround sound amplifiers processing options (ie: Pro Logic or Pro Logic 2). Which actually does a very good on most occasions.

Cheers

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

NOW TV doesn't support surround sound on any device I'm afraid, so you're not doing anything wrong. The best you can do is select a pseudo-surround processing mode such as Dolby ProLogic II/IIx when watching (if your amp has the ability). It's listenable but obviously not ideal. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks. This is a real let down. Netflix seems to provide a much better service. I'll probably stick with Netflix / plex after the trial.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I sent Now TV a message on twitter to complain about the lack of surround sound. No news yet, but I agree in the age of Netflix and Amazon Prime it feels a big let down. 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User

Guys

You know, I find it strange that you are surprised that Now TV does not have surround sound yet and then behave as if it's a problem that should be fixed, especially since Now TV has never made any secret of the fact that sound sound is not on offer.

After all, it only takes is a minuscule of pre-purchase research on your part to find out if everything you expect is on offer.

I'm reasonably sure that at sometime in the future surround sound, along with a host of other facilities, will be on offer, more than likely with this up and coming new machine pictured below.

Now TV (Ultra New) Box.jpg

But quite honestly, if you can't be bothered to do any "due diligence" then you should not try to blame anyone else for your lack of foresight.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable
“Due Diligence” - I think thats rather condescending given that you have know knowledge of previous research done when purchasing a product. In this case I saw that only the Apple TV not even the NOW TV box broadcast live the entertainment channels in 720p.

Where my surprise is considering the pricing which is on par with Netflix/Amazon etc you would expect a similar level of technical features.

I feel the platform is the future and within a few years the satellite option for Sky will be redundant.

Sky has some excellent programming and I’m sure when Now TV develops from a side project to mainstream then more features will come.

Until then enjoy what we have.
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

You know Zippy, I actually agree with most of your post and you are right, I have no knowledge of the research you have already done.  But, you must  admit, you assumed rather than checked whether surround sound was available or not on the Now TV box and, all I am saying, you can't blame Now TV for that.

However, I believe that sound sound, for Now TV, is on the horizon, watch this space.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's 2018, and surround is the industry standard. You even get it on the satellite HD channels.

My 15+ year old DVDs have excellent DD surround.