cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Clyd
Scholar 2

Subtitles

I know it's probably me, but perhaps someone can help.

I have no problems generally with subtitles, but recently particularly with Now I've had a distinct lack of subtitle availability.

I've just ploughed through the whole of GoT (very good) but would have appreciated subtitles. I think I read somewhere they may not be available, and despite trying regularly I succeeded in 1 episode!!!

Were they available or not ?

Now I'm watching Chenoybyl, it says subtitles are available, but not to me !!!

Is it just me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Clyd
Scholar 2

As I said at the start of this, it was probably something I was doing wrong.

I think I've sorted it now and it was down to me.

After I press the subtitles bubble the screen above shows 2 further buttons. I have obviously been selecting these incorrectly.

Pushing the on/off button does nothing for me, it permanently shows off and just changes to a small additional sticking out "thing" at the bottom.

However if I just press the language button, which again never changes from English it all miraculously produces subtitles.

It explains why on ONLY 1 episode of the entire GoT I got subtitles!!!!  I must have accidentally pushed the correct series of buttons.

Although I think it's sorted, I still don't see the logic and will just blindly do the same again.

If someone has the patience, perhaps they can explain the process, so that I can at least use the system smarter.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
redchiz1
Champion 2

Very frustrating I'm sure @Clyd, working for me too, this from my iPhone where I just tried a quick test:

IMG_0966.jpg

Clyd
Scholar 2

As I said at the start of this, it was probably something I was doing wrong.

I think I've sorted it now and it was down to me.

After I press the subtitles bubble the screen above shows 2 further buttons. I have obviously been selecting these incorrectly.

Pushing the on/off button does nothing for me, it permanently shows off and just changes to a small additional sticking out "thing" at the bottom.

However if I just press the language button, which again never changes from English it all miraculously produces subtitles.

It explains why on ONLY 1 episode of the entire GoT I got subtitles!!!!  I must have accidentally pushed the correct series of buttons.

Although I think it's sorted, I still don't see the logic and will just blindly do the same again.

If someone has the patience, perhaps they can explain the process, so that I can at least use the system smarter.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Clyd 

It's a shame you can't force Closed Captions or Subtitles directly on your Samsung Tizen Smart TV (like my NOW branded devices and my Roku Players).

Where once you force Closed Captions / Subtitles and hit the bubble speech icon and select English Subtitles once on the NOW App it will automatically force subtitles each time you watch subtitles supported content on NOW without faffing around with the bubble speech icon each time you want subtitles on screen.

Clyd
Scholar 2

I agree, but I have to be content with the solution I've sorted.

Every other app/broadcast I watch can be controlled directly from the remote with 1 button push.

But never mind, there are worse things going on in the world.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've had problems with subtitles being available for some of a series but not on other episodes, or cutting out part way through - I flagged this with now who have a terrible attitude to it IMO because they pass it off as being down to the suppliers of the TV shows - I don't see why they can't put subtitles on all shows or get back to the program makers to make sure they supply them - those of us who need/want subtitles should be able to have them as normal - it's not like subtitles are a recent thing! Idk why they aren't mandatory tbh it feels pretty dismissive to not see how important they are to people with hearing issues and loss, or autistic / ADHD etc who find subtitles help process the info more easily. *rant over*