cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Clyd
Scholar 2

Subtitles

I know it's probably me, but perhaps someone can help.

I have no problems generally with subtitles, but recently particularly with Now I've had a distinct lack of subtitle availability.

I've just ploughed through the whole of GoT (very good) but would have appreciated subtitles. I think I read somewhere they may not be available, and despite trying regularly I succeeded in 1 episode!!!

Were they available or not ?

Now I'm watching Chenoybyl, it says subtitles are available, but not to me !!!

Is it just me?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Clyd
Scholar 2

As I said at the start of this, it was probably something I was doing wrong.

I think I've sorted it now and it was down to me.

After I press the subtitles bubble the screen above shows 2 further buttons. I have obviously been selecting these incorrectly.

Pushing the on/off button does nothing for me, it permanently shows off and just changes to a small additional sticking out "thing" at the bottom.

However if I just press the language button, which again never changes from English it all miraculously produces subtitles.

It explains why on ONLY 1 episode of the entire GoT I got subtitles!!!!  I must have accidentally pushed the correct series of buttons.

Although I think it's sorted, I still don't see the logic and will just blindly do the same again.

If someone has the patience, perhaps they can explain the process, so that I can at least use the system smarter.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Clyd 

I don't own a Samsung Smart TV (which i am assuming you are using ?).

But have you tried forcing Closed Captions in the Samsung TV menu settings ?

Don't know if this link is relevant to your TV or not.

https://www.alphr.com/closed-captions-samsung-smart-tv/ 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Clyd 

After forcing Closed Captions from the Samsung TV settings you may have to start watching something on NOW with the S icon subtitles supported and clicking on the bubble speech icon to activate subtitles on NOW supported TV Shows & Movies to initially trigger the subtitles, then hopefully it will automatically appear without clicking on the bubble speech icon once again.

This is how the above works for me using the Roku or NOW Branded devices.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Clyd 

I don't depend on subtitles myself, but all eight seasons of Game of Thrones should be subtitles supported if using a Samsung Tizen Smart TV.

in the early days of GOT going back a while none of the episodes was subtitles supported until NOW and HBO got their act together.

If you don't force Closed Captions on from the Samsung TV, then each episode you may have to trigger subtitles by clicking on the bubble speech icon and selecting subtitles when pressing the pause button whilst watching NOW supported subtitles content.

Clyd
Scholar 2

Thanks for this.

I can't find closed captions on my TV, and any reference to enhanced audio facilities is more biased towards genuine hard of hearing people.

My need is more basic, just to improve some of the lost speech quality by mumbling and music overlaying.

I use the speech bubble on the screen which seems to have no effect.

Regarding GoT I had heard that there was no subtitles, so I didn't try too hard to get it.   However of the 80 odd episodes I did achieve it once!!!

I think I can narrow down my query to, why doesn't the speech bubble have the desired effect.?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Clyd 

The bubble speech icon is purely for subtitles.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/can-i-watch-with-subtitles 

It seems you need something to tame the background sound and boost dialogue if you don't have a separate sound bar, where most inbuilt speakers on flat TV's are rubbish.

Some playback devices and TV's in their sound menu has some sort of dialogue speech enhancement such has night mode, speech mode which try's to flatten the dynamic range and boost the speech.

Clyd
Scholar 2

Sorry, I think we are over complicating my problem.

Let's forget about what hearing difficulties I may or may not have. I just want subtitles in any format. Assume my hearing is perfect.

The link you sent was very useful. But basically my problem is very simple.

I am viewing a program that has the S symbol. I press the speech bubble button and it then brings up the small screen above, which looks as though it turns the facility on and off.

But whatever I do at that point it doesn't change from off.

What I need to know is what I am doing wrong. Many thanks for your help.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Clyd 

I don't own a Samsung Tizen Smart TV so i can't check if subtitles is working on the NOW App or not on this particular platform.

No problems for me using subtitles on my NOW box or Roku player.

If any forum members who have Samsung Smart TV can't help, then see if NOW live chat can figure out what's happening.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Clyd 

Forgot to say, have you got any other supported device on my previous link to see if subtitles work apart from your Samsung Smart TV with the native inbuilt App on the television ?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Clyd 

Here's a screen shot that i have taken just now from Game of Thrones Season 8 when using my NOW 4K Smart box and clicking on the bubble speech icon and then clicking on the English subtitles option.

Ignore the red colour of the subtitles text because i customised the size and colour of the text in the NOW box Settings under Closed Captions sub menu.

IMG_20220301_141608.jpg