cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Subtitles on Sky programs

Is there any way of getting subtitles on new Sky programmes, like Blue Bloods, Seal Team etc? I've just signed up to NowTV as the site said subtitles were available for most new programs, and haven't found ANY programs that have them so far!

Not impressed.

11 REPLIES 11
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Youview Boxes don't support subtitles on NowTV 😠.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/can-i-watch-now-tv-with-subtitles 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is what I saw before I ordered the box and signed up to NowTV:

Entertainment Pass – 100s of on demand shows have subtitles available, and all new shows added will come with subtitles, where available. We’ll be adding subtitles to more shows on the Entertainment Pass back catalogue soon tool

And conveniently hidden under the drop-down arrow in faq's is:

FAQs Which devices are subtitles available on?  Subtitles are available on all supported devices, except for the BT TV Box and YouView box.

Just a little bit misleading, don't you think??

Do subtitles work if you watch Sky programmes on NowTV's own box??

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I don't rely on subtitles, so it's not one of the things that i would check in my case when doing my research on products or services that i am considering buying.

It you believe you have been mislead in anyway about subtitles then take it up with NowTV on the communication methods on this link.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-complaint 

The NowTV box or Stick does support subtitles, but if i was in your position before considering buying another device, i would use your smartphone with the NowTV App and look at the TV shows or Movies that you are interested in watching to see if the particular content on NowTV indicates the S symbol next to it which denotes subtitles supported on that particular show season or seasons and films (not all NowTV Content has been converted to subtitles).

Where none of the live channels on the NowTV passes offers subtitles.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the tip, I've just checked the app on my phone and all the series that I'm interested in seem to show that they have subtitles on there. Do you think Im fairly safe to assume that a NowTV box would also have them?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

In theory yes, but i don't rely or use subtitles myself, so i would rather somebody on the forum that use subtitles regularly on their NowTV Box or Stick confirm that the NowTV subtitles service is reliable.

One thing to bear in mind a couple of people have reported that sometimes a new episode that is recently uploaded on weekly catchup takes a few days to upload the subtitles onto the new episode (not sure if that was a couple of remote cases or not).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnappsMarvellous - I have a glimmer of hope!

Hopefully someone with a Nowtv box will confirm, but I think I'll be returning the Plusnet box and giving the Nowtv box a try. It would probably work out cheaper in the long run anyway.

Thanks for your help.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Subtitles definitely works on my NowTV Freeview Smart Box, NowTV 4K Smart Box and NowTV Stick from my brief testing in the past.

Though i can't comment on the reliability or quirks of their subtitles service.

Just remember no subtitles on the live NowTV channels to date (only on demand or catchup with the S icon next to the NowTV content that is subtitles supported).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnappsthat's ok, I never watch it when it's live anyway. Thanks.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Just remember there is no Freeview on any of the NowTV Boxes or Stick (apart from the discontinued NowTV Freeview Smart Box with the blue NowTV logo on the top of the box casing) and none of the NowTV devices offer any live channel recording.

I am assuming for Freeview watching via a TV aerial you are using another separate device such has your television inbuilt TV tuner if you are returning your Plusnet Youview box ?