cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Subtitles appearance

Hi guys!

I rely on subtitles a lot but the ones the Now TV app provides look terrible, mostly due to the very distracting black background and their placement.

Is there any platform - phone, TV, console, etc. - which allows their appearance to be customized?

Thanks in advanced for your help. ‌‌

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Had a quick play around with the Caption settings on my NowTV box and under " Background Opacity " you can remove the black box on the subtitles background by selecting OFF.

You can also customise other things like text size, type, colour etc.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If you are using a NowTV Box or Stick then under the settings menu > under Captions there is a number of options to customise the subtitles look and appearance.

I don't use subtitles myself, so i am not sure if the customisation options meets for what you are after.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Had a quick play around with the Caption settings on my NowTV box and under " Background Opacity " you can remove the black box on the subtitles background by selecting OFF.

You can also customise other things like text size, type, colour etc.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps does that apply to NowTV content too? I remember reading somewhere that would work for other apps on the box but weirdly not the NowTV one.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Yep the Caption customise settings work on NowTV content which is subtitles supported.

From my previous post i tested it out with a movie from my NowTV Cinema Pass.

Do you own either a NowTV Branded device or Roku Player ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you very much for confirming!

I don't own either but I was just wondering whether subtitles customization would work on Roku sticks too as that would be my preferred purchase.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Here a quick screen shot taken.

I didn't change the text style, text size or colour, but just switched off "Background Opacity" .

IMG_20201007_143508_hdr.jpg

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Give me 10 minutes and i will double check my Roku Stick Plus with the NowTV Pass and content that is Subtitles supported (from memory i believe it works the same with the same options has my NowTV box).

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Looks like the custom caption settings also works fine with NowTV content that is Subtitles supported on my Roku Stick + device, where i have to switch off both Background Opacity & Window Opacity (i tried green text instead of red).

Screen shot taken from Roku Stick + with NowTV Cinema Pass on the Roku NowTV App.

IMG_20201007_145446_hdr.jpg

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps you've been super hepful! Thank you very much!