cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Subtitles appearance

Hi guys!

I rely on subtitles a lot but the ones the Now TV app provides look terrible, mostly due to the very distracting black background and their placement.

Is there any platform - phone, TV, console, etc. - which allows their appearance to be customized?

Thanks in advanced for your help. ‌‌

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Had a quick play around with the Caption settings on my NowTV box and under " Background Opacity " you can remove the black box on the subtitles background by selecting OFF.

You can also customise other things like text size, type, colour etc.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Just had a quick play around with Subtitles on both the Netflix App and Amazon Prime Video App and from my brief testing on the Roku Stick +,  i couldn't remove the black background box with the subtitles text on it when watching Netflix or Amazon Prime Video (unless somebody knows how who uses subtitles on these two services?).

Only the NowTV App for me where i could remove the background box that contained the subtitles text in the Caption customised settings.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Both Netflix and Amazon Prime apps have their own subtitles appearance settings, at least on my Samsung TV. Of course it might be different on the Roku stick.

It's definitely good news they work as expected on the Now TV app though.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Just swapped back to my NowTV 4K box and tried the Netflix App on the box and with the NowTV box Netflix App it is not showing the black background box on two titles i tried which was Oblivion and The Martian (which is good news).

When i tested the Netflix App on my Roku Stick + i only checked out the movie Deadpool , so i just checked Deadpool on my NowTV box Netflix App and this also has the black box showing behind the subtitles text (so the Netflix App must be content related if it has the black background box or not).

Won't have time to check my Roku Stick + again because it's plugged into my Home Cinema Amp in another room and it's a pain to plug in and out.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User  @schnapps 

I might be getting the wrong end of the stick here and feel free to tell me if I am.

if you're having issues with the appearance of subtitles on Netflix. Then be aware that subtitle appearance is determined by settings on your Netflix profile. These settings can be changed by going to the Netflix website subtitle settings on the box/stick should have no bearing on the appearance of subtitles in Netflix

go to the following URL

https://www.netflix.com/YourAccount

then expand the profile and parental controls for the profile in question and click subtitle appearance.

From here you should be able to change how subtitles appear within the Netflix app. Be aware that you will have to completely restart the Netflix app in order for the settings change to take effect in the app on Roku/now TV device. The easiest way to do this would probably be to restart the device

Hope this helps and apologies if I have the wrong end of the stick😀

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes I think in general that's the case for the Netflix app. It might not be using the OS settings as far as subtitles are concerned because it has its own.