cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Subtitles On LG TV

When are subtitles likely to be available on Now TV with an LG TV. I've got one more month of my £1 trial but have hardly used it.  We nearly always have them on when watching terrestrial TV, Catchup, Netflix and iTunes. Not because we're hard of hearing but because actors mumble and background noise and music often drown the dialogue.  I understand they're available on Now TV boxes so I don't understand why not on the TV. 

If they aren't available by the end of February I'm going to cancel until they are. 

9 REPLIES 9
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

If they aren't available by the end of February I'm going to cancel until they are. 

Subtitles won't be available by then @Anonymous User.

The ground work for subtitle testing has just commenced for NOW TV branded (Roku) products. So nobody knows yet how quickly the actual roll-out will be. And/or whether the on-demand or live-streaming will have them subtitles first.

Thankfully though, subtitles are finally on their way...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for your message.  I don't understand why they aren't there as we've had them on terrestrial and Netflix for years. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

A year later from the original post it seems that we are no closer to getting any subtitles on the LG TV app. 

There is another topic, which claims that subtitles are available for LG TV, but I am yet to fine an on demand or live movie, which has subtitles.

Very disapointing. 

I have them on the OSX app, but it is the TV that is important....

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

A year later from the original post it seems that we are no closer to getting any subtitles on the LG TV app. 

There is another topic, which claims that subtitles are available for LG TV, but I am yet to fine an on demand or live movie, which has subtitles.

Very disapointing. 

I have them on the OSX app, but it is the TV that is important....

Hi @Anonymous User

What's your TV model number? I know that LG TVs with  webOS do have subtitles, but if it's an older Netcast based LG TV, then I'm not sure if subtitles are available.

The vast majority of movies now have subtitles the amount of entertainment content with subtitles is now starting to increase slowly as well. 

@Anonymous User do both types of LG TV have subtitle functionality?

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @commanda6 

I have LG 42LA690V and judging by what I found on the Internet it has Netcast OS.

I couldn't figure out a way to even get to an option for subtitles on the NowTV app on my TV, even if it is greyed out. 
And I haven't seen any movies with the "S" marking, although I have to admit I have only looked through a small number of the on-demand movies. 

I suspect that there just aren't subtitles on the app on this OS. 

I also have Kodi media center. Are you aware if there is a NowTV app for Kodi, which might have support for subtitles?

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Anonymous User @commanda6 

I have LG 42LA690V and judging by what I found on the Internet it has Netcast OS.

I couldn't figure out a way to even get to an option for subtitles on the NowTV app on my TV, even if it is greyed out. 
And I haven't seen any movies with the "S" marking, although I have to admit I have only looked through a small number of the on-demand movies. 

I suspect that there just aren't subtitles on the app on this OS. 

I also have Kodi media center. Are you aware if there is a NowTV app for Kodi, which might have support for subtitles?

@Anonymous User unfortunately there isn't a NowTV add-on for Kodi media centre

Have a good luck through the movie library and see if you can find content with the subtitle symbol on it, if you can see the subtitle symbol, then that  probably means the app on your TV should support subtitles. If you can't see the subtitle symbol anywhere and any content in the  movies library , then the app on your TV probably doesn't support subtitles.

There should now be over 800 movies with subtitles.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@commanda6 

I also chekced on Android, both 4 and 7 tablet and phone and while I could install and use the app there are no subtitles there either. I checked at least 10-15 popular movies. 

That kind of also excludes casting through Chromecast from Android devices unfortunately. 

So, the only place I have personally seen subtitles so far is from the MacOS app. I asume that the Windows App will also have subs if the MacOS one does as well, but that is still quite disapointing, having to switch on a computer to watch...

I honestly do not understand if they have hundreds of titles with subtitles why would they not just update the apps and make this available to all users. If you can say that there are only a handful of users using a LG TV with Netcast, that is fine, but it is not like there are only a few Android users, are there?

Anyway. I do like the app in general. A bit shame that we are cappet at 720p, but it still looks nice. The only thing I am missing from it are the subtitles. I hope they update at least the Android app. 

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

@commanda6 

I also chekced on Android, both 4 and 7 tablet and phone and while I could install and use the app there are no subtitles there either. I checked at least 10-15 popular movies. 

That kind of also excludes casting through Chromecast from Android devices unfortunately. 

So, the only place I have personally seen subtitles so far is from the MacOS app. I asume that the Windows App will also have subs if the MacOS one does as well, but that is still quite disapointing, having to switch on a computer to watch...

I honestly do not understand if they have hundreds of titles with subtitles why would they not just update the apps and make this available to all users. If you can say that there are only a handful of users using a LG TV with Netcast, that is fine, but it is not like there are only a few Android users, are there?

Anyway. I do like the app in general. A bit shame that we are cappet at 720p, but it still looks nice. The only thing I am missing from it are the subtitles. I hope they update at least the Android app. Smiley Sad

Hi @Anonymous User

I know that subtitles aren't available yet on mobile device yet . This includes both Android and IOS. But hopefully they'll appear someday soon.

I don't know precisely why subtitles aren't available on all devices, yet, but different devices work in different ways, so it may not be as simple introduce subtitles on all devices as people think. if it was simply a case of updating the apps I think that would have been done by now, all I can suggest is that you keep an eye on the subtitle help article which they were update as soon as subtitles become available on more devices

Even the BBC are still having some subtitle troubles as well , as it's only on PC that you can get subtitles on the BBC's live channel streams you can't get subtitles when watching the BBC's live streams on any other device. The BBC may be ahead of everybody else in terms of subtitles that have this day they are still having trouble. 

As for being limited to 720p on mobile devices. I think that is fine because you wouldn't really want to go above 720p, otherwise the data costs would very quickly become extortionate . However, for big-screen devices we are in agreement being limited to 720p is a shame Smiley Sad

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks for your comments. I'm only interested in having subtitles on my
smart TV. I cancelled my subscription until they are available. I don't
understand the problem when they've always been available on Netflix and
all the main terrestrial channels. Most content on Amazon Prime has them
also.