cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Subtitles Not Working with NowTV app on Samsung TV

Warning - rant follows...

Trying to enable subtitles on shows/movies that have the S symbol doesn't work with NOW TV app on Samsung TV.  I can get to the screen that shows the setting 'Off' but there's no way to change it to 'On'.  I've tried left, right and ok buttons on the remote control but nothing works

Managed to try it on a LG TV and it shows 'English' to the right of the 'Off' setting. The language option is missing from the Samsung TV so I'm guessing that's the bug.

Judging by the forums, I see that this is a known problem but there doesn't seem to be any update on how or when it will be fixed (or if it will be fixed at all).

I've also just been on chat with the support people at NOW TV and, after an excruciatingly long-winded, do-all-the-basics discourse lasting well over an hour, someone eventually acknowledged the same thing and told me to buy a Smart Stick or Now TV box!

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any way of escalating the issue or getting a definitive answer to the question of whether it will be fixed or not, so I guess this is just another example of big companies shi**ing on disabled people.

Rant over and thanks for reading.

14 REPLIES 14
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I don't own either a Samsung or LG Smart TV to check out the subtitles with the NowTV App.

When you press the OK or Enter button whilst watching a movie or TV episode with the S subtitles support, does it show on the preview screen a bubble speech icon (towards the bottom right) and if so is it either highlighted or switched on to trigger subtitles?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the response.

Here's a couple of photos to illustrate the problem... Samsung TV first (not working) then LG TV (working):Samsung subtitles.jpg

LG subtitles.jpg

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Exactly the same thing is happening to me.

I have spent hours on live chat and they don't seem to understand there is a problem with the coding of the app, not just how I am interacting with it.

I couldn't even lodge a complaint as they said I had to go through all the technical steps first.

Is there a number to talk to a human?

I don't get how the forum can have so many threads saying the subtitles don't work with a Samsung TV and nothing is getting done about it. Very annoying

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Glad I found this as having the same problem and Now TV couldn't help.

Thought that subtitles hadn't been enabled but there is no longer a "settings" or "options" menu in where you can enable them anyway.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

OP if there's no fix the old black boxes can be picked up pretty cheap now.

Or I could send you one as I've got about 7 of them as it was cheaper to buy them with the vouchers than it was to pay monthly.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I had this same problem but just started watching Barry and suddenly there they are!! I checked a couple of other programmes I watch and they are there. I have a Samsung but have had to watch Now on my old LG TV in bedroom so happy I have subtitles on the Samsung also. Has anyone else started to get them? I'm scared to press subtitle icon in case they go!! 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Not working on Barry or anything else.

No option for subtitles "on" or "English" only "off" as per the photo above.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Working now, hurray!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the same problem. Tried contacting Nowtv and getting same robotic answer! 

there is no option in my smart tv for subtitles in setting!