cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Streaming Quality Fluctuation

Hey all,

I've been struggling with the streaming quality fluctuating between appalling and absolutely perfect. It fluctuates literally every 2 seconds which makes it extremely difficult to watch and enjoy!

I use the Now TV app on my Samsung smart TV, via a wired internet connection. My internet speeds are 38mbps and I don't have an issue with any other streaming app.

It is not due to the TV as this happens on my other smart TV too (and has been happening for over a year across 2 different houses).

I refuse to pay for Boost and I'm getting to the point that I'm going to stop paying for Now as I can't really watch it.

Has anyone experienced anything similar and can help? It's starting to feel like Now TV are trying to force me to pay for Boost! Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

Not the answer you want,, but your experience isn't normal.

Firstly if I were you i'd have cancelled long before now as what you describe is unwatchable.

I don't think they are trying to force you into boost.  A decent upscaling HD TV does a pretty good job of making their standard picture look passable without the need for boost.  If sound isn't an issue then boost won't give you much.

However not all apps are equal.  I know that this isn't ideal but I always recommend you don't rely on built in apps on smart TVs.  Unless its a bang up to date big name TV like LG or Samsung then the apps tend to age and don't get updated.  If you use something like an Amazon Fire stick then not only do you get the latest app, but its also kept up to date.

If you are of a mind to stick with Now, buy a £20 fire stick and see if that app works OK which I suspect it will.

If you want to stick with the built in apps and they are not working well then id just cancel your subscription as its unlikely to improve.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Don't own a Samsung Smart TV, but all my devices run fine on both wifi and Ethernet with NOW dotted around the home.

Just has a temporary test on your television, have you tried temporary unplugging the power to both your Router and television (even if all other Apps are running fine).

Once you have rebooted the Router, try a wifi connection has a temporary test instead of Ethernet on your Samsung television just to see if the problem persists on the NOW App.

You mentioned also the problem happens in a different home and what playback devices are you using in the other home ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sadly your experience is not unusual. Fluctuating picture quality seems to be a widespread feature of Now TV, and if you report it you will get the usual BS suggestions that it's your device/connection speed /ISP. The simple fact is that Now TV is a bad service and they don't have the technical ability to fix these issues.