cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sony Bravia A80J Boost sound errors

Hi, I am having an issue with my Bravia A80J when trying to watch NOWTV live channels with boost surround sound.

Whenever my soundbar is connected, I get errors such as 'PL-0' and now it says 'ERROR.PLAYER.ANDROID.UNKNOWN'.

It streams fine when the Soundbar is not connected, or when it is connected and TV Speakers are selected, and it works find with On Demand shows/movies.

It also works fine when casting from my phone.

I have no issues with any other apps - they all play Dolby Vision/Atmos perfectly.

I have tried it with multiple sound bars (Sony and Sonos), as well as resetting routers, uninstalling/reinstalling app etc.

Any help/advice welcome!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

There was a firmware update for the TV today and I’ve tested NOW with Boost 5.1 and it seems to be working. 

Might be worth updating and giving it a go. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

I have not encountered this issue on my Sony Bravia which is connected to my Samsung sound bar. 

When in the app is the Boost settings selected as 5.1 surround sound?

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-adjust-audio-settings

What about setting the TV back to factory settings?

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes its set in settings to 5.1 and it works fine on demand - just the live channels throw the error message.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Try setting the TV back to factory settings, should hopefully squash any bugs in the system. If not then its further ammo to use when reporting the fault with NOW (which can be done using one of the methods in my signature below)

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Factory reset in progress. I’ll let you know how it goes. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Reset done. Still getting the same errors.

I will have a tinker with the router settings before contact Now for support. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the same issue and raised with NOW TV as a complaint last November. After several updates of the android app in the last two months the situation has not been resolved. When you have boost activated and have your Sony TV connected to a sound bar you cannot watch movies from live as you get an error message. I do not know why now TV have not resolve this issue. Please see their response below made last December. Yesterday I emailed them and asked them why this issue has not been resolved and I’m waiting for a response

In continuation to our conversation regarding an issue watching NOW contents on your Sony BRAVIA TV. 

We are very sorry for the delay in resolving your query. 

We found that our members were getting error code PL-0 when watching on Sony TV’s. investigations found that in all cases the TV was connected to an AV receiver or sound-bar.

This error sometimes occurs when our Members have an AV receiver or sound-bar connected to their Sony TV via HDMI. We're working on a permanent fix for it, but in the meantime, you can get around the error by disconnecting the audio device. Depending on your TV model, you may be able to reconnect it after you start streaming NOW, but if this doesn't work, you'll need to disconnect it and select TV for you audio output instead.

Please note that at this time we are unable to confirm how long this could take. We will make sure to keep you updated.

In the meantime, you can continue to enjoy the NOW content on other supported devices, such as Gaming Consoles, Android Phone, iPad, etc.

Thank you for your understanding,  

Bye for NOW
NOW Team
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. Im sorry to hear you are having the same issue, although relieved it isn't just my TV 🙂

For me its live sports that is bothering me, although I have also confirmed entertainment and movies doesn't work either.

Last Friday, during a support call, they were trying to make out that my TV is not getting any internet at the moment the channel is selected (apparently confirmed in their analytics).

They said my internet is not fast enough, and I replied to say that I have uncapped 4G and tested at 180mbps during the call!

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of it, although casting seems to work without any issue so that will be my stop-gap for now.

SparkShotSpur
Scholar

I have a Sony A80J and am also getting an error when trying to view live content in 5.1 so have to keep stereo selected.

When viewing in 'stereo' my soundbar (Yamaha YSP-2700) display shows its receiving a dolby digital+/pro logic II signal which is very unusual.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

There was a firmware update for the TV today and I’ve tested NOW with Boost 5.1 and it seems to be working. 

Might be worth updating and giving it a go.