cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sky Sports News on Apple TV

Can anyone clarify this? NowTV advisor I chatted with had no clue.

I have active Movies, Entertainment and Kids passes and understood you could watch Sky Sports News with any of these, without having to buy a Sports Pass.

It works fine on my Samsung TV app, my iPad, iPhone and Now TV Stick but if I try to watch the channel on my Apple TVs (3rd gen and 4th gen), it tells me I need a Sports Pass.

The channel DOES work, as I tried buying a Sports Day pass and SSN worked fine along with all the other sports channels but after the 24hour period, it went back to being blocked.

Any idea why it doesn't allow viewing on Apple TV only with the other passes? I just replaced a now tv stick with an apple tv and gutted I can't watch SSN in that room now.

10 REPLIES 10
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I was under the impression you could only watch SSN with a non sky sports pass if you either owned a NowTV branded or Roku device.

Didn't realise that nowtv have relaxed this policy on other devices, where i only use NowTV or Roku devices on my account list.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/using-sky-sports-news-hq-app-on-now-tv-box-stick

Sorry i can't help with your ATV SSN question, perhaps somebody from the NowTV Forum Team or another forum member on here can jump in an answer your question ? 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I’m in the same boat here. 
I can watch SSN on my nowtv box, yet on my Apple TV it doesn’t work as it requires a sports pass. 

I can’t wait until they update the app on the Apple box. The current one is awful!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

My understanding the Sky Sports News is a bonus offering to customers who have a NowTV / Roku Player only and have an active NowTV Entertainment, Cinema, Kids or Hayu Pass if you don't subscribe to any of the sports passes.

Even when or if NowTV update their App on the Apple TV box i doubt the SSN will be free to watch on this non NowTV / Roku branded device.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ah thank you. That makes sense. My now tv box is still connected so I just switch to that. 
I can’t wait for the new app though!

Duncaw67
Scholar 3

Hi @Anonymous User 

I was in the same boat last year when I got apple tv last year, and had purchased a sports week pass and was able to watch SSN on my roku stick upstairs for 30 days,but on the Now tv app on apple tv nothing,told me I would have to purchase a pass,but when I was invited onto the beta trial in March, the new yellow app allowed me to watch SSN with any pass purchased.

Hope this advice helps you, and the new app will continue customers to watch SSN in the future!!!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Duncaw67 

That's interesting to know that SSN works on the ATV NowTV trial App without the need of a sports pass and where you just need another active pass on your account such has Entertainment, Cinema, Kids or Hayu.

Should NowTV go down this route with the release of the new ATV NowTV App, then they should offer SSN to all NowTV supported devices with any active NowTV pass.

Duncaw67
Scholar 3

Hi@ Schnapps

I believe you are on the beta trial also,and is due to finish next month,unless another build is introduced to the app,I only found out by accident when my weekly pass had expired and I put on SSN and it was on the beta trial app, which I was more than happy about, and not have to it watch upstairs  so hopefully the app is fully integrated into Apple tv, when the trial has run its course!!!!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Duncaw67 

Nope i am not on the ATV NowTV App trial where i only own an old ATV 3 box and haven't got the money to splash out on a ATV gen 4 or ATV 4K box 😢.

Though i would have loved to be involved with the trial.

I can't check my non branded NowTV or Roku devices in my house with SSN because i am on a long term NowTV sports pass.

Duncaw67
Scholar 3

Hi @schnapps 

Sorry I thought with you being a regular contributor to this forum, you where on the beta trial, but as you have said, a new Now tv app for Apple tv is long overdue and should be updated ASAP!!!