cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Since upgrading to Boost, very slow

Only upgraded to Boost to get two users to be able to watch at same time. However since upgrade very slow, constant buffering. My question is, does boost "upgrade" the video quality. I'm not technical but did I see the Boost mention "720p HD quality", and perhaps on the basic service I was on less than that?

13 REPLIES 13
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If you have only just signed up to Boost in the last four hours on the NOW website, then go to My Account on the NOW App on your playback device and sign out and back in again to trigger the Boost.

If you are using a Youview Box, then start watching something on your Cinema, Entertainment or Sports Membership, give it about 15 to 20 seconds for the picture to ramp up and press the OK button on the Youview remote to see if it shows a figure around 7800.

If it says 7800 then you are streaming at 1080p HD.

Should it be a figure around 4800 which is usually 720p then if it's a on Demand NOW content check there is a HD symbol next to the content tile or press the OK button on the remote to bring up the pop up content information screen about the content you are watching.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Here's a NOW help article linked below about Boost and what playback devices supports the Boost Membership.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-boost 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If you are suffering from buffering, then whats your internet down speeds where NOW says you need 12Mbps per a Boost Stream.

If you have plenty of internet bandwidth, then maybe try a power down reboot on both your playback devices and Router.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Can I ask, how is the device your watching connected?

Is it Ethernet or Wi-Fi?

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable
WiFi
Nperf confirms WiFi 30Mb/s @ TV. Have tried WiFi on both 5ghz & 2.4ghz
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Are you in a position to try Ethernet?

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Yes, have a 25m cable 🙂 Will try.
redchiz1
Champion 2

How are you getting on? A clean stream of HD content requires a recommended 12Mbps, so two will require 24 etc. If your headline speed is no more than 30 then that may be what is causing the issue. 

redchiz1
Champion 2

@Anonymous User The answer is generally "yes." So if you find that two devices cannot support simultaneous streaming because your internet connection does not provide sufficient bandwidth, then you could change the Video Quality setting from Standard to Low on one/both of your viewing devices to see if that will allow you a buffer-free experience.