cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Setting up to watch through a smart TV

Can someone advise please what set up I need to do in order to watch NowTV through a smartTV if I've already set up a NowTV account on a computer? I watch television through both devices, although obviously not at the same time. 

Television is a JVC if that makes a difference. Internet Service Provider is BT, but not using a youview box. Have only selected Youview in order to get to post. 

9 REPLIES 9
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If you don't own a suitable device from the list on this linked article, then perhaps consider either a NowTV stick / box or even a Roku Player from places like Argos, Currys etc.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now-tv 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So am I interpreting the website correctly when I say that my TV would not be compatible even with a NowTV stick?

@Anonymous User I think what @schnapps means is that your there isn’t a NOW TV app that will run “natively” on your JVC smart TV itself, so you will need a NOW TV compatible device to plug into your TV (via one of the HDMI sockets on the TV) to watch NOW TV. That could be your computer of course! In which case, connect it to TV (or maybe Chromecast NOW TV from computer to TV if that’s a possibility?)

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Like what @dr_necessitor mentioned your JVC television doesn't support the NowTV App natively on it through its smart platform, so you would need to hook up your JVC TV assuming it has a HDMI input port on it to an external NowTV Playback device such has a NowTV stick for example.

If your JVC television has an HDMI port spare and your internet speed is 2.5mbps or higher then the NowTV stick should be fine with your television.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Any modern digital 16:9 widescreen JVC set with an HDMI input will accept a NowTV or Roku Stick, and give you the best NowTV experience possible on it.

(I qualify this only because I’ve just been trying to sort out someone who wanted to use his beloved old 4:3 CRT, SCART only, with a modern player; a forlorn hope alas).

But if you can please quote your model number, we can double-check this for you.

The NowTV Stick will be cheaper, especially if you get a bundle with included passes, but the Roku Stick is more versatile, supporting Amazon Prime as well as NowTV.

But both have the complement of terrestrial players to rival any modern smart TV, and bring comparable further smartness to your JVC.

I don’t think it’s worth faffing about to try and get NowTV off a computer. Even one like mine, a laptop with an HDMI out, is a hassle to lug about and set up compared with just firing up an inexpensive Stick.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've been going round and round to find out if my tv is compatible. I don't get a link to click on for a list. My tv already has the app on it but it will not let me watch sky sport which is what i have niw tv for. I sign it but it will not show the sport. Why ? It's just plain annoying to keep going to Roku box and having to use additional controllers 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

There is no list attached to your link !!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

What is the make & model number of your television ?

If you are using an external Youview box with the NowTV App on it, then at the moment the NowTV App on the Youview Platform only currently supports movies with a NowTV Cinema Pass hence the reason you can't find the Sports section.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/now-tv-shows-that-aren-t-available-on-youview 

Further NowTV Passes will eventually be available on the Youview Platform, but the information and release date when this will happen is still a little sketchy from NowTV (which should have happened beginning of the year, then it was the start of the  2019 football season and it still hasn't materialised yet 😠).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Many thanks. Our tv is a JVC one but not sure of the model. Don't worry we shall just keep watching it through our ROKU box. Thanks