cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Server capacity

Hello. 

I've noted on sports that premier league football is always a brilliant picture, but lots of pixalating on rugby league, and a fair bit on f1 today (more at start when there would have been cross over with other sports) 

I think its clearly server capacity. While I appreciate now do not want to invest in lots of spare capacity, I think whoever buys in capacity does not buy enough when live rugby league is on in particular. 

I'm no expert- but I presume now pay more for their content delivery provider to prioritise demand based on expected viewers- and for PL they buy in more than they need, but for rugby league and sometimes on other sports demand for watching is more than expected? 

I wonder if anyone could enlighten the board further. 

Also is 50 fps likely at all on Arena, Action and other channels? If so, how much extra server capacity is required compared to 25 fps? 

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

To get 50fps for the 6 sports channels that currently offer 50fps you need to have a device that’s supported.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-boost

• Smoother sporting action: 6 Sky Sports channels – Main Event, Premier League, F1, Football, Cricket and Golf – are available at 50 frames per second (except on Xbox One & Series X/S and LG TV).

To find out when the other channels could get 50fps is everyone’s ultimate question. As it’s been over a year since the “Boost” launch, its anyone’s guess. 

You could always drop customer service an email to find out. Address is in the below picture.

2420F36C-DE7B-44C4-9A6B-05C5A1A4AC16.jpeg

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hey SW

Your flogging a dead horse if you believe Now are going to discuss the capacity of their servers, that's all "Commercial in Confidence" info.

We can speculate as much as we like but that's as far as that discussion will go.

So, I'm guessing that Sky/NOW will always consult their stats and various reports before making any new or day to day investment decisions.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It goes further than that. Not only are discussions about server capacity off limits but any quality issues that imply inadequate server capacity are roundly denied. Customer Services will invariably push the troubleshooting burden onto customers, often quoting spurious low broadband speeds as the likely cause. The latest response I have had to complaining about frequent buffering interruptions wanted me to take a video of the occurrence! Since no error code is ever displayed, there can only be 2 reasons for that response - either they don't believe me or it's just another example of them kicking the can down the road. 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Yeah LS

You got a typical response, like most customers do that either have a problem they cannot solve or encounter something they do not want to admit to. 

I was recently told, when I complained about the forum application no longer responding to my various browsers, that they could see no software updates, clean out my browsers caches and try another browser (MS Edge) that any novice tech would know my computer could not run. 

In other words, I should not believe "my lying eyes", was sent on a wild goose chase and, as you put it, they kicked the can down the road.

Yeah, I ceased all contact with them after that pointless encounter.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's not too bad to have the occasional blurred screen for a few seconds, but it happened again on SS Arena during the NRL, so I switched to Mix and no issues. 

NRL not often on a Fri in recent weeks so I suspect they didn't buy enough capacity for Arena. 

I just hope if anyone reads this that they can manually update how much capacity is required- considering Now never have an issue with PL football it is a concious decision and although fewer members are impacted, it must be relatively cheap to buy a small bit of extra capacity for NRL games as it is a repeated problem on it. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

To get 50fps for the 6 sports channels that currently offer 50fps you need to have a device that’s supported.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-boost

• Smoother sporting action: 6 Sky Sports channels – Main Event, Premier League, F1, Football, Cricket and Golf – are available at 50 frames per second (except on Xbox One & Series X/S and LG TV).

To find out when the other channels could get 50fps is everyone’s ultimate question. As it’s been over a year since the “Boost” launch, its anyone’s guess. 

You could always drop customer service an email to find out. Address is in the below picture.

2420F36C-DE7B-44C4-9A6B-05C5A1A4AC16.jpeg

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for replies. 

I do genuinely believe now tv is a pretty good service and I appreciate they need to encrypt the network, but i do hope they revise how much capacity they need when rugby league is on- as picture blurs quite often. By contrast it never blurs on premier league football. 

I wonder for NRL matches which vary which day and time they are shown if now estimate capacity required based on weeks with no nrl- and audience may double when they are shown 

I did find mix and f1 channel better than arena and main event when simulcast. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just an update- picture perfect on SL thur, fri and today. NRL superb too