cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Searching Now TV content on an Apple TV

I love the idea of the Apple TV as it allows you to search multiple services (Netflix, BBC iPlayer etc) all at once. 

If I had a Now TV subscription linked to an Apple TV box, would I be able to search Now TV content in the same way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nst
Elite

Hi @Anonymous User 

The short and current answer to this is no.

However... its a long subject so ill try to be brief.

1.  The current NowTV app on the appleTV platform (im assuming you are using current gen devices i.e. the HD or 4K model with Siri remote)... is appalling, 4.5 years old, and not fit for purpose.  It certainly cant and wont do what you want.

2.  The good news is that there is finally a long awaited update to the AppleTV NowTV app... its in testing as we speak but nobody can say when it will go live.  Be patient.

3.  What you are talking about is full integration with the AppleTV platform.  This full integration is fantastic, very useful, and when it integrates with the "TV" app, it brings the whole streaming experience to another level.  In my opinion it is a real killer feature, and puts the AppleTV head and shoulders above the rest of the streaming devices out there.

However.... integration is not mandatory, or guaranteed and comes in 3 flavours.  1.  Full integration including up next integration, and search integration.  2.  Partial integration - can use Siri to search and results appear but no integration with the TV app whatsoever.  3.  No integration al.

Now, currently on AppleTV full integration is:

Amazon Prime, Disney+, iPlayer, All4, ITV Hub, My5, UKTV Play.

Partial Integration is:

Netflix

No integration:

The 4 year old NowTV app.

So, we dont know if the forthcoming NowTV app will offer any integration at all, or just partial - im pretty sure it wont be full integration on first release but who knows in the future.

Personally, I would love that ALL apps on the platform were mandatorily fully integrated with AppleTV.  They arent.  I find the fact that Neflix is only partial and that irritates me... as I rely on the AppleTV TV app as my 'up next' queue - it would be nice for weekly released Netflix shows to also appear there.

I must admit due to the lack of full integration I dont really use the Siri search for netflix content - it mostly doesnt occur to me - I may as well just go into the app.

So.. to answer your question..... No.. not now.  Maybe in the future sometime.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
nst
Elite

Hi @Anonymous User 

The short and current answer to this is no.

However... its a long subject so ill try to be brief.

1.  The current NowTV app on the appleTV platform (im assuming you are using current gen devices i.e. the HD or 4K model with Siri remote)... is appalling, 4.5 years old, and not fit for purpose.  It certainly cant and wont do what you want.

2.  The good news is that there is finally a long awaited update to the AppleTV NowTV app... its in testing as we speak but nobody can say when it will go live.  Be patient.

3.  What you are talking about is full integration with the AppleTV platform.  This full integration is fantastic, very useful, and when it integrates with the "TV" app, it brings the whole streaming experience to another level.  In my opinion it is a real killer feature, and puts the AppleTV head and shoulders above the rest of the streaming devices out there.

However.... integration is not mandatory, or guaranteed and comes in 3 flavours.  1.  Full integration including up next integration, and search integration.  2.  Partial integration - can use Siri to search and results appear but no integration with the TV app whatsoever.  3.  No integration al.

Now, currently on AppleTV full integration is:

Amazon Prime, Disney+, iPlayer, All4, ITV Hub, My5, UKTV Play.

Partial Integration is:

Netflix

No integration:

The 4 year old NowTV app.

So, we dont know if the forthcoming NowTV app will offer any integration at all, or just partial - im pretty sure it wont be full integration on first release but who knows in the future.

Personally, I would love that ALL apps on the platform were mandatorily fully integrated with AppleTV.  They arent.  I find the fact that Neflix is only partial and that irritates me... as I rely on the AppleTV TV app as my 'up next' queue - it would be nice for weekly released Netflix shows to also appear there.

I must admit due to the lack of full integration I dont really use the Siri search for netflix content - it mostly doesnt occur to me - I may as well just go into the app.

So.. to answer your question..... No.. not now.  Maybe in the future sometime.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Brilliant answer. Thanks for the input.