cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Samsung app and 5.1 audio

Hi,

I watch through the app on my Samsung K series (2016) smart TV. I have activated the boost and I get a higher bitrate (I assume - the "stream quality" number is now 7300, as reported in the app). I have my TV connected via HDMI (arc) to a Sonos beam and other apps - Netflix & Prime, as well as a bluray player and an attached PC all play at DD 5.1. Now TV does not - Sonos reports it as DD 2.0. I have seen others mention a boost setting button, where the audio output can be changed - but I cannot see this either on the app on the TV or if I log into my account at nowtv.com. Is there a way for me to change the boost settings?

7 REPLIES 7
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Have you read this thread linked below ?

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Stick/NOW-TV-Boost-no-5-1/td-p/512800 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi

I read that thread and I am just as confused. People seem to suggest that
the built-in app will output DD 5.1 and that it works with a Sonos Beam.

Also, I still cannot find where any boost settings button

Thanks for your help - I'll carry on investigating
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The Boost Settings button on your NowTV App should be located by opening the NowTV App on your device then navigate to the My Account section of the App where towards the top of the screen with the list of passes should be a Boost Settings button.

I don't own a Samsung Smart TV but would have thought the Boost Pass settings button would be in the same location.

If the Boost Pass button is not there, temporary sign out of the NowTV App, switch the TV power off at the mains for say 30 seconds and re sign back into the NowTV App.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

got to admit, rather shamefacedly, that it was down to my not having the speaker set up correctly. Once they were the boost setting button appeared and everything worked! Seems the app only offers surround sound if it detects a surround capable system (?)

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

The app on LG and Samsung TVs will check your environment, and if the TV is set for Dolby Digital or DD+, will output whichever it is set for. If the TV is set for stereo, that it all you will get.

The app on the Sticks, though, can’t check the actual environment (or maybe the Sticks can’t) but will output according to whatever the Stick audio is set to in the Settings for the Stick. But it either outputs stereo, or it outputs Dolby Digital Plus, nothing else.

If the Stick is set for plain Dolby Digital, the app will only send stereo.

If the Stick is set for Dolby Digital Plus, but the environment only goes up to Dolby Digital, the Stick will output Dolby Digital Plus, thé effect of which is that you hear no sound.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you @schnapps @RoyB @@@ I have been tearing my hair out regarding getting the 5.1 to work on my Samsung J6300, why the sound setting is hidden in the boost pass option i have no idea thanks so much

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

I think it’s in there for two reasons:-

Firstly, NowTV didn’t want to raise people’s hopes of getting it free by putting it in the audio menu;

Secondly, they didn’t want to rewrite that 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.