cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

SD Card Installation

Dear Roku 2 & 3 Users

I own a Roku 3 and last week installed a micro SD card in order to increase the apps storage memory.

As it happens, I had a spare class 10, 32GB card which, according to the Roku instructions here:-

https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/208756158-what-is-a-microsd-card-and-how-do-i-install-one-in-...

was within the range of compatible cards that can be used, i.e.

For best results, we recommend a Class 2 or greater microSD card with a minimum of 2GB storage.

However, when I installed my SD card my Roku couldn't see it, I then got onto Roku help chat and was told, in effect, there was an omission in the instructions.

The Roku boxes can only use micoSD cards between class 2 - 8, he then apologised for my inconvenience, but confirmed the boxes can use up to 32GB of storage memory. 

BTW, the card I used was this one:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Imaging-microSDHC-Adapter-Ratings/dp/B012VKWY7I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&...

Finally, I just find it ridiculous that even the instructions written by electronic device manufacturers cannot be trusted to give correct information/instructions.

UK Bob 

5 REPLIES 5
chilli2
Elite

This is a frequent compaint over on the roku company forums

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy

It's a good job you had the card spare and didn't buy it specifically for use in the Roku Smiley Happy I know it's a bit late now, but had you posted on here beforehand. I would have told you that there was no way Roku would accept that type of card as I found out a few years ago that Roku's can be a bit picky with regard to what SD cards, they will accept if it were me to be on the safe side, I wouldn't go any higher than a class VI card and make sure the decent make like SanDisk or Transcend

At least you're not out of pocketSmiley Happy 

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
ukbobboy
Legend

@commanda6 @chilli2

Guys

You know, the thing that annoys me the most is that both novices and experts alike cannot trust manufacturer's instructions or manuals, either they're wrong by omission or because no-one bothers to update them.

Instructions or manuals nowadays are not even an after thought, they're something to be done once and then forgotten. 

Later.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I wish the instruction where correct when i read it last week as I have class 10 micro sd cards that are now of no use!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I first tried a 16GB card in mine.  And yes, it could not read it.  So I wondered if it was too great a capacity.  Other systems, I found, similarly have issues regarding the maximum capacity it can read.  For example, the music system in my 2017 vauxhall astra cannot read anymore than a 32GB USB stick, as well as other limitations.  So I tried an 8GB card of an appropriate class for the Now TV box, and all is fine!  Try using an 8GB micro card.  These work fine in my two such boxes.  Pity the earlier white models don't have a slot.