cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
petecc
Scholar 2

Roku app forgetting membership

I've reported this to NOW but I was just wondered how common (or not) it was.

I have a Roku Express and about once a week, when I go to watch something I get a message: "Unable to complete purchase on this device, please to to www.nowtv.com/tv-passes to choose an offer." But if I then check in the same app's settings screen it still shows the relevant membership is active. After some combination of pressing the 'Start Watching' button next to the membership and closing and app from the Roku home screen * menu and trying again, it seems to eventually sort itself out (I haven't yet found a consistent way to fix it).

6 REPLIES 6
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @petecc 

This error message does crop up from time to time, though I haven't personaly come across it myself on any of my devices.

If it happens again, perhaps try these couple of things below.

1. Force a software update on the Roku player by pressing the Home button five times on the remote, then quickly press the Forward button three times, then quickly press the Rewind button twice, then from the secret menu update the software even if on the same software version number.

2. Remove and Reinstall the NOW channel App.

3. Unplug the power to the Roku Player, give it a minute and once restarted login into the fresh NOW App with your login credentials that your NOW TV Memberships are on.

petecc
Scholar 2

HI @schnapps 

Thanks. I've just forced an update (1) but re-logging in is such a pain due the unbelievable lack of support for the Roku remote app keyboard or even the ability to see the password as you enter it, I'll wait and see if NOW thinks that might cure the problem once and for all. At the moment a few steps like I described are far less trouble to get it back.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @petecc 

If it's happening weekly then does your Router IP address dynamically change or is it fixed ?

Where I believe if NOW can't track the IP location or the IP address location is unknown or outside the UK then this blocks access to your TV Memberships and can flag up a message similar to this.

petecc
Scholar 2

Thanks again @schnapps. I think it's dynamic but it seems traceable to a UK location every time I've tried. I think I might have to pay more for a static one.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @petecc 

If it's traceable to the UK then it's not your  Router IP address location causing the message to flag up.

Perhaps try typing the message you are seeing in the Community search box to see if anybody has come across the same issue you are encountering.

If you have other playback devices I am assuming you are not seeing this message like you see on your Roku Express.

petecc
Scholar 2

Hi @schnapps,

After complaining several times about this (and many other things I've noticed in just over three weeks I've been with NOW), I got quite a detailed email from the 'technical team' that invited a reply, which I duly sent. They claimed that membership issue like this had been fixed, so I replied again when it happened again the very same day. We will see....

I did find another message on the search, but only one, from back in 2021, which you've already replied to quoting a message that NOW were aware of it and working to fix it. Oh well, it's only been about 18 months: https://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Smart-Box/Unable-to-complete-purchase-on-this-device/m-p/56800...