cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaybs
Mentor

Roku App/Sky Sports

I have two ROKU sticks, which I have had since April 2015,  one on the TV in the lounge, and one in the bedroom TV. I live alone, often on an evening, I will move from the lounge to the bedroom in an interval in what I am watching, but I will first have a wash in the bathroom, and clean my teeth, before leaving the lounge, I will come out of Sky & the ROKU app, returning to digital TV, In the bedroom I will switch from digital TV to my ROKU app, and Sky Sports, frequently I am getting the message, I am still signing in to another app & TV, which I do not believe is correct, can anyone give me some advice.

Last night in frustration, I took out the Booster offer, of 7 days free, to see if this would help, everything went through, but still it made no difference, and after 30 minutes, I gave up trying to get into the Sky Sports Channel I was watching, and was so frustrated!

So any advice will be so appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@jaybs 

Switching off a device isn’t the cleanest way to “close” the app down. You need to hit back until you’re back to the device homepage. At least until you see the message “you want to stay or leave NOW?”.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Saint1976
Elite 3

@jaybs Boost can take up to 4 hours to activate but you can force the activation by signing out of your account on each device and then signing back in.

jaybs
Mentor

Thanks for your response, it is appreciated, I cancelled Boost in the end, but I can't understand still after watching Sky Sports on one TV, checking out of the Sky Channel, returning to ROKU Menu, and then switching off the TV, 25 minutes later, I still can't watch  Sky Sports on another room TV? As it says I am still checked in on another TV?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@jaybs 

Switching off a device isn’t the cleanest way to “close” the app down. You need to hit back until you’re back to the device homepage. At least until you see the message “you want to stay or leave NOW?”.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
jaybs
Mentor

Thanks for your kind help and advice, it has been most appreciated J

RoyB
Legend

@jaybs 

Just to give you the ‘why’ behind all this:-

Now are monitoring what you are watching, and note that you are watching on one device.

When you exit cleanly, this sends a message to Now that you are no longer watching on that device, and your device count goes down by 1. Which means that almost instantly you can start watching on another device; your count goes up by 1, but only to 1, so you are fine on the new device.

But when you don’t exit cleanly, no message is sent, so your device count stays at 1. Which means that if you instantly start trying to watch on another device; your count goes up by 1, but this time to 2, which you aren’t allowed (except with Boost), so you aren't allowed onto the new device.

This doesn’t last indefinitely though; one of Now’s regular sweeps will find you’ve gone from the first device, and drop the count by 1, which now allows you to watch on another device. But the sweep only comes around about every 20 minutes, so you have to wait for it in this case, as you have found.

When switching devices, always exit cleanly from the first one (it is enough if you exit the programme you were watching, you don’t have to completely exit the device) so Now is informed instantly, and then you won’t have to wait for any sweep to come along before you can watch on the second device.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
jaybs
Mentor

Thanks, Roy! I am taking more care, when turning from one TV to another, it is mostly at weekends. During the week I rarely change from one TV to another using Now, & ROKU, returning to digital TV.

Cheers