cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roku 2 Device Rename not sticking

Since the maintenance window last week, I noticed that my Roku 2 (which I had renamed as "Roku 2" long, long ago) was listed as "NOW TV Box".

Have since renamed the device back to "Roku 2", but following every session of using it to watch NOW TV, it gets renamed back to "NOW TV Box" when I look at Manage Devices on the website.

Anybody else noticed this?

Any chance of getting this put on the list to be fixed @Anonymous User ?

18 REPLIES 18
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@dr_necessitor

Excellent spot. I've just checked my Roku 3 and you're right it's now showing as a NOW TV box. 

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User could you pass this on?

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy@dr_necessitor I've just tried a little experiment. I've got four devices - an iPad, a Roku 3 and two smart boxes, all of which I'd given unique names. Between the maintenance and just now only the iPad and one smart box had been used. The smart box suffered the name change bug. So I had a quick view on the Roku 3 and that has also had its name changed as noted. I would definately say that this is a bug. 

We've long been telling users to rename their boxes in order to tell them apart. Fat lot of good that advice will be until this is fixed.

I should add that the bug is only triggered if you use the box. So @4268 if "sammy" is a NowTV smart box you haven't used since maintenance day, it'll probably get a name change when you use the NowTV app.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Mark_Weinreb @dr_necessitor @4268 @Bobk @Andy

Hi Guys

Thanks to this thread, and examining My Devices, I have noticed for the second time my Roku 3's name has been changed to NOW TV Box, whereas my son's renamed Now TV box (i.e. son's name Now TV box) remains unchanged. 

I hope Now TV can fix this small problem, preferably when they're fixing the Authentication Error.

UK Bob

Bobk
Scholar 2

Ditto, noticed my Roku Stick had been renamed Now TV Box last week.

Legend 5
Legend 5

Larry the LG, Molly the Motorola, Sammy the smart box and Harry the HP have all kept their names so I suspect that the issue is restricted to Roku devices.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@4268 aww maybe that's all my Roku wanted - a proper name. When the bug is fixed I shall call mine Rococo the Roku 🙂

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

This bug may be affecting other devices. One of my devices is an iPad Pro, which was named "iPad Pro". Having just used the NowTV app, it has been renamed "iPad". This goes deeper than I thought.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

As you may know this has been a problem for years and since there's no action by the Now TV team I guess it's something they think we can just put up with. By the way it's all devices used to watch Now TV so whatever system is used to check what's attached that's what pops up. So Now TV boxes are made by Roku so they become Now TV boxes. It's really frustrating when you want to change devices because you have to use the one you want to remove and then check which of your devices was last used according to your account. Only then can you remove it.

Point taken but maybe not years, just since the recent maintenance work.