cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Roku 2 Box £34.97 at Currys.

Just noticed on Currys website that they are currently selling the Roku 2 streaming box for £34.97 which seems a pretty decent price if you are looking for a box with the three main streaming services NowTV, Netflix and Amazon Video together with the four main TV catch up Apps, plus other channels and features not available on the NowTV box Smiley Happy.

Might pick one up myself for a direct replacement to my Roku stick which is a bit sluggish and under powered when navigating around the UI.

A quick question to Roku 2 and 3 owners how quick does it take to open up the Netflix App on the box, where my Roku stick takes forever Smiley Mad

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/smart-tv/roku-2-hd-smart...

7 REPLIES 7
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps wrote:

Just noticed on Currys website that they are currently selling the Roku 2 streaming box for £34.97 which seems a pretty decent price if you are looking for a box with the three main streaming services NowTV, Netflix and Amazon Video together with the four main TV catch up Apps, plus other channels and features not available on the NowTV box Smiley Happy.

Might pick one up myself for a direct replacement to my Roku stick which is a bit sluggish and under powered when navigating around the UI.

A quick question to Roku 2 and 3 owners how quick does it take to open up the Netflix App on the box, where my Roku stick takes forever Smiley Mad

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/smart-tv/roku-2-hd-smart...

Hi @schnapps

The first thing I did was check that the Roku 2 you were looking at was the 2015 version. Roku 2 4205, and indeed it is. Smiley Happy because if it was the old version you were looking at you wouldn't want to go anywhere near it. It would be just as bad as a Roku stick hardware wise . The 2015 version of the Roku 2 is on par with the  original version of the Roku 3 hardware wise. Apps such as Netflix, BBC iPlayer start within 8 to 10 seconds. And once you have ran Netflix for the first time, it appears to stay part loaded in the background, so the second time you started. It's much quicker at least that's what happens on my Roku  anyway. 

To be honest though part of me thinks it might be better to wait because dramatic reductions in price are usually what happens just before new hardware is brought out and we all know that the release of new Roku hardware in the UK is long overdue. So it's possible there could finally be new Roku hardware on the way and you have a 4K TV don't you? The current Roku kit is available in the UK doesn't support 4K output.

By the way, don't be surprised if this topic gets moved from the account section into the Roku section

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@commanda6

Thanks for your reply, no problems if this thread is moved to the Roku section of the forum if more relevant.

Not fully conversant with the Roku product range, so is this Roku 2 (4205) discounted at Currys the same Roku 2 boxes currently being sold on the Roku UK website for £69 and places like Argos and Amazon for around the £50 price mark ?

Here's the link to the Roku UK website.

https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products/compare

I did try the Google search engine for "new Roku models coming to the UK" with no meaningful results ?

Yes, you are correct i do have a Panasonic 4K TV with the inbuilt Netflix and Amazon 4K Apps in my Living Room.

However, i am looking for a cheap streaming box to use with my 1080p Projector in my Home Cinema Room that also has an Ethernet port, where i am going down the Home Power line Plug route to connect to the internet rather than over WiFi.

At the moment i have both the Roku stick and Fire stick in the HC Room over WiFi and not looking to splash out a lot of money on a new streaming box.

Don't want to use the NowTV box or fork out on a new additional Fire TV box for me to have the option of NowTV, Netflix and Amazon Video in the HC Room connected to a single Ethernet port powerline plug.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Out of interest...

Does anybody know if the UK/EU Roku products have been upgraded to support a 50Hz video output?

Cheers

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Not sure about the Roku boxes, but my Roku Stick only outputs 60HZ when pressing the info display button on my TV Smiley Sad 

No option in the menu settings to change the video output from 60hz to 50hz which you can do on a Chromecast and Fire TV stick Smiley Happy

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Looks like the Roku 2 are now not showing on the Currys website, so i am guessing they have sold out.

Suggest keeping this thread open, to see if places like Amazon UK and Argos follow suit by dropping their prices on the Roku 2 or 3 models in the coming months where you can post on here of any price drops worth noting.

We are not far off from the Black Friday / Cyber Monday Sales in a couple of weeks time, so it will be interesting to see if there are any Roku deals around during this time Smiley Happy

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Currys have the Roku 3 now on a clearance offer of £34.97 which is instore collection only (where available).

It's a shame there is no Currys / PC World that have stock near me, otherwise i think i would have bought one for a direct replacement to my Roku stick.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/digital-and-smart-tv/smart-tv/roku-3-media-st... 

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps wrote:

@commanda6

Thanks for your reply, no problems if this thread is moved to the Roku section of the forum if more relevant.

Not fully conversant with the Roku product range, so is this Roku 2 (4205) discounted at Currys the same Roku 2 boxes currently being sold on the Roku UK website for £69 and places like Argos and Amazon for around the £50 price mark ?

@schnapps Yep, that's the one. I don't know if there are new Roku models coming to the UK, but it was just something to bear in mind because it's Murphy's Law that if you buy the 2015 Roku 2 new models will appear soon afterwards and a significant drop in price is usually a tell-tale sign

@SeeMoreDigital With the exception of the Roku streaming stick the Roku EUA models are meant to be able to switch between 50 and 60 Hz dynamically as needed. As of the software/firmware version 7.5 Just as NowTV hardware now does

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.