cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Quarter Screen Problems on Apple TV Box on 4K

So I've been happily using the Now TV app on my Apple TV box for a few months now. 

I just updated by TV to a 4K model and since then now tv plays video on the top left quarter of the screen only. (I assume swapping the TV caused the Apple TV box to reconfigure it's output to suit the new TV)

All Now menus, tv guide etc. show full screen but as soon as a show is started the video only runs in the top left corner of the screen.

I manually configured the video output from the Apple box to be 1920x 1080, and then video showed full screen, but that means either writing off 4k on all my other AppleTV use (Netflix, YouTube, AppleTV+, iPlayer all work correctly), or constantly switching between the video output modes. 

or I could just leave it at 4k and not bother with Now.

12 REPLIES 12
nst
Elite

I have both the old AppleTV 4K, and the new AppleTV 4K too... and I have not seen the issue you describe with the NowTV App.

However, what you describe does ring a bell.

I have seen this very behaviour on my new 4K box (not the old 4K box) but only in the Youtube app.  For some reason the youtube app can start up sometimes in quarter screen.

My solution every time is just to force quit youtube and start it again and this works every time.

I haven't had to think about settings etc as its only something that affects Youtube for me and its sorted with an app restart.

Strange you seem to be having the same but for the NOW app.

Saint1976
Elite 3

Same thing happens on my Roku Premiere, exclusively with BT Sport but only when I'm watching an Ultimate (4k) broadcast.

Same deal, into the menus and doing a forced restart solves the problem.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I came across this when I was messing about with the resolution. If you set it back to 4K SDR (50Hz) and force close the Now app (double tap the home button then swipe up on the Now screen) then it should play in full screen again.