cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Quality

I have recently bought a new OLED TV ( LG ) quality is amazing especially the UHD Attenborough stuff - I am accessing Sports through Roku Now as there is a strange issue with motion if I use the LG`S Now tv app ( I also have Boost for HD )

I am thinking of signing up to Sky Q as they are offering a free Q box, sports £ 18 per month, Sky Atlantic £ 11 per month, Netflix in UHD for £ 8.00.

Now Tv I pay £ 20 ( until June 2022 ) + £ 3.00 Boost + £ 10 for Netflix. £ 4.99 for Entertainment for 3 months.

I have to go for Sky Q don`t I....??? 

Now broadband is £ 22.00 against Sky £ 28 - 60 mphs approx.

• LG
4 REPLIES 4
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Only you can decide that.

Where if you can afford it and have no problems with the contract commitment with Sky over NOW then Sky Q would be my choice.

I don't own an OLED TV (out of my budget) but my mate has a LG CX OLED with the Sky Q box and the Sky Q interface is more polished to me (plus the Bonus of recording live Sky Sports and the picture quality on both HD and UHD is a step up compared to my 1080p HD with Boost).

The advantage of my NOW Boost over his Sky Q sub is the number of streams of three.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Out of curiosity does your recently purchased LG OLED TV have any HDCP 2.2 problems over HDMI.

Where i have read there has been problems with Sky Q boxes and other connected HDMI devices that use the HDCP 2.2 encryption when the device is set to 4K rather than 1080p HD in the playback device settings.

I believe LG are aware of it and are working on a firmware update (because i don't have a new LG OLED TV i haven't followed the story).

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-c1-oled-owners-and-discussion-thread.2355383/page-90 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Eh thanks - quick answer is I don`t know. But thanks for pointing this out as it sounds like something I need to be aware of if I go for the Sky Q box. This problem refers to the connection between the tv and the Sky box???

Thanks for the link also I will have a look through to see if I can understand the jargon. 

I thought I would go for the top dog tv but it comes with a whole new set of particular set ups!!.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The HDCP  2.2 bug seems to be only affecting newer manufactured LG OLED TV's (don't know if it's across the full model range or certain model / sizes).

If you have any 4K devices that runs over HDMI such has 4K BluRay player, Amazon 4K Fire Stick, Roku 4K player than usually at full 4K bandwidth they are HDCP 2.2 copy protection protected where you should be able to test it for the bug.

With this LG bug it seems you can't use the full 4K bandwidth over their HDMI ports and need to force 1080p HD has a workaround (not great if you want to watch 4K 50 hz or above over HDMI.

If the bug is still apparent, then i am sure LG can fix it someway with a firmware update.

Maybe after reading the AVForums link, Google it for more information.