cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
russtcm
Advocate

Poor quality

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help with this. Wasn’t sure where to post it because it’s happening across multiple devices including a now stick, fire stick and lg smart tv now apps.

Basically I cannot get full hd despite having the boost and reliable Wi-Fi or a direct Ethernet connection.

I have images showing the quality of the stream, the quality of my Wi-Fi and the download speed all which is capable of 4k never mind 1080 but I don’t think I can post them here.

So I’m left wondering, is it nowtvs servers?

9 REPLIES 9
nst
Elite

Are you talking about on demand content or live content?

I have found that live is totally shocking - appalling - criminally so!  Ive tried to watch live Sky one and the dark areas are so pixelated its almost funny.

I have found, however, that on demand content in both movies and Sky one are fine.  Granted not as good as Amazon and Disney and Netflix who all seem to manage 4K quite easily... but fine none the less.

russtcm
Advocate

I am talking about on demand content.

It’s just so inconsistent that the quality jumps up and down. It never gets above 720 despite having the boost and Netflix being able to stream at 2k securely.

30mbps is the max available in my area so while it’s not great it should be enough for hd. 

redchiz1
Champion 2

Strange that it should occur across devices. What does the streaming quality show as on your LG TV? I have just checked mine with a random live stream and it was 7831. 

russtcm
Advocate

From memory I think it hovers around 980. Occasionally goes higher but also goes lower.

Just watched SAS rogue hero’s on bbc iPlayer tonight and got UHD, no problem.

Its very frustrating and I don’t know what else to try. 

redchiz1
Champion 2

OK, best get in touch with the TV support team and see what they have to say, use the Chat button near the top of the page here.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @russtcm 

As a temporary test I would be tempted to try something like the Google DNS on your Fire Stick or LG Smart TV to see if PQ on NOW improves.

I only get the 980 figure for about a second or two when the NOW streams begins to ramp up and then it finally settles at 7800 with Boost.

russtcm
Advocate

I will try this as soon as I get a chance.

Can I ask why you say “as a temporary test”? If it worked would it not be sufficient to leave the Google dns settings?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @russtcm 

If it works or improves things then with regards to the NOW stream then stick with something like Google DNS.

Some people on the forum have reported using something like Google DNS is more stable when it comes to watching NOW than the DNS provided from their ISP.

Also if you have Mobile data then again has a temporary test try using a wifi hotspot bypassing your Router to see if something is throttling the NOW stream.

russtcm
Advocate

Unfortunately the Google dns made no difference. Using a hotspot isn’t likely to work as signal is poor where I live but I’ll try it.

Given all the other streaming services are fine I’m likely to just cancel my now tv tbh

Shame but thanks for the help this far.