cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Poor quality picture using Now tv app on LG tv compared to Apple TV - why?

Bought sky sports week past to watch the Open Golf - have fibre broadband and new LG smart TV and although have upgraded the App - picture quality constantly fluctuates from good to poor (blurry and pixelated), the constant fluctuations makes it almost unwatchable..and yet in the other room on a much older Panasonic tv I’ve connected an Apple TV box and watching the golf through that now tv app and the picture quality is almost perfect and constantly...so it seems the LG Now TV app is the weak link - is the anything I’m doing wrong / can check / can adjust??

19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have 3rd Gen apple tv with NOW TV. Picture quality is ALWAYS better on the apple than it is on the LG TV app. TV is a brand new OLED 65B8PLA. Just for info, BBC iPlayer is also ALWAYS much sharper from my Youview box than it is on the LG app. LG apps are both up-to date, and both are consistently more blurry than the same apps on Apple TV and Youview box. Everything is connected to the same wireless network. In fact, as I watch the French GP practice, I can see the LG Now TV feed deteriorating to a blurry mess whilst via Apple TV it's still pin sharp. No contest for me. It HAS to be the LG apps that are at fault. Why are they so poor? And for further info, iPlayer and NOW TV also look poor quality on a Roku+ streaming stick compared to Apple and Youview boxes.

Apple might be expensive, but the difference in picture quality is like SD to HD.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks for the advice. I’ve always had problems with the Nowtv app on my LG tv.
So, I can watch Nowtv through AppleTV, is that want you’re saying?
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Pete,

Yes. I have 3rd Gen Apple TV, and the NOW TV quality is MUCH better. I only use it for F1, but I'm watching practice 3 now, and it's pin sharp and pixellation free. On the LG NOW TV app, its poorer quality all the time, and pixellates occasionally. Much like sky go, if you've ever used that.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thank you, your reply has been really helpful I will try AppleTV!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I thought to be fair, I should check other NOW TV content...I also have the entertainment package but hardly ever use it. It's the same story....pin sharp on apple tv, poor quality and slow response on my LG TV via the app. If you can try it via Apple TV, give it a go. You won't go back.

I don't understand why the LG app is so poor. Can anyone explain?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

No idea but concur it seems to be the app or the TV’s ability to connect to my WiFi as using the NowTV app on the Apple TV box through to the LG tv the picture is flawless. Had same problem watching the Masters this year too, I did reset the tv and apps and for awhile it seemed to make a big difference but after a few hours the pixelation came back...and seems to be the same on a second LG TV that I have now (that replaced the old Panasonic) so have now moved the Apple TV box to the big LG tv and watch the golf through that...so at least I have a solution but it’s far from ideal - hope LG can fix this...

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thank you! Interesting feedback about the NowTV app on an LG tv.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I tried the TV wireless and wired. No change with NOW TV, still very poor. Netflix and Amazon will stream 4k perfectly wired or wireless...I'm pretty sure it's the NOW TV app on LG that's at fault.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Absolutely agree!
Anonymous User
Not applicable
That’s helpful thanks - so begs question how does LG get informed so they can fix the app?