cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Picture quality and buffering

Hi I have changed my router this week to the virgin super Hub my picture quality on now has deteriorated to pixelated looks like a bad copy of a movie and the programme keeps stopping as if buffering I have followed all the posts on here and for the last three hours tried to rectify this! My setting is on automatic and my internet speed is excellent 63.8mbps download and 4.8 upload! I have been on to virgin about it they are saying there is nothing more they can do! I have done the update? What can be done to fix this as it is pointless staying with now if the connection is this poor !
9 REPLIES 9
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

If your Roku is connected to your Virgin hub via WiFi you need to select the 5GHz (not 2.4GHz) frequency band/channel options...

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Interesting...where do I find this 5ghz setting on the roku? 

I'm finding YouTube really buffers and now TV a little with virgin hub.

Thanks SS

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Firstly i am not familiar with the Virgin Hub Router, so you need to be sure it is 5ghz compatible?

Assuming the router can operate on the 5ghz frequency wifi band this is how to get the Roku to work over 5ghz.

What i did using my BT Router (your Virgin Router may be different to setup) was firstly go into it's admin software settings and had to re name the wireless SSID 5ghz band to enable me to identify it on my homes network (for id purposes i just added 5ghz name characters on the end).

Then once you have setup and named your 5ghz band on your router, then go to the Roku menu settings, select network, wireless, then click on up date connection,then scan for new wireless connection where hopefully you will see the 5ghz option on your home network.

Select the 5ghz SSID and enter your router password and click on the connect button to hopefully get the three green tick arrows saying your are now connected.

Happy Days.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Looks like with the Virgin Super Hub Router (taking version 2 as an example) that you don't have to rename the SSID 5ghz band like my BT Router which i described in my previous above post which makes life much easier.

Taking the Super hub 2 router as an example the Router is already configured for both wifi bands and already enabled which are identified with 2G on the end of the 2.4ghz SSID and 5G on the end of the 5ghz SSID.

So if you are using for example a Hub 2 router and you haven't disabled the 5ghz band on your Router then hopefully you should see listed both the SSID 2G (2.4ghz) and SSID 5G (5ghz) options when you go into the Roku wireless home network settings.

If you are using the Super Hub 1 then you may have a problem due to that all you devices will need to be 5ghz compatible and you cannot have a mix match of 2.4ghz and 5ghz working at the same time off this version router (according to the help guide).

Here's a link from the Virgin Help Centre about using a 5ghz network.

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/200300000001000/article/HELP-2417/Using-5GHz-wireless-network-on-your-Virgin-Media-Hub?query=5ghz 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Perhaps there is something on this guide that can help, i know some users have had success using the guest mode on the Virgin Super Hub.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/error-code-014-now-tv-box

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the same issue, or similar.

I have Virgin and have used my Roku stick to stream from many differant sources. I have watched F1 using Now TV as well.

The only time I am getting buffering is using Now TV to watch Game Of Thrones.

Are the Now TV Servers not up to the task ? Why does Game OF Thrones Buffer but other shows on Now TV do not ?

Any series ant episode and I get buffering ?

Whats going on any one have any ideas.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Mac

I watched season 7, episode 1 of GOT recently, watching GOT for the very first time, and I had no buffering problems whatsoever, admittedly I did watch it between 1.30am - 2.30am.

However, I can now see why it has so many fans because it takes the "Sword and Sorcery" genre to the next level.

It's unlikely that I'll be able to watch the previous six seasons but now I'll definitely add GOT to my watch list.

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

I was watching Stargate: Ark Of Truth last night, I think I started to watch it before midnight, and about half way through the film the picture quality suddenly dropped, I initially thought my eyes were failing, then the quality dropped again making the film unwatchable.

I gave up on the film and, about 12.45am, started to watch something else, Zorn.  That went OK until I was half way through the second episode when the picture quality suddenly dropped, at this point I gave up trying to watch anything else on Now TV.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

We seem to have the exact Same problem the first 15 minutes of a program are fine then quality is so poor we give in.