cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV app in Roku vs Samsung SmartTV

Hello,

I had been using NowTV with the Roku Streaming Stick+, then I bought a Samsung SmartTV (model Q85R) with the app, so I switched to the TV.

The other day, I was struggling with the wifi signal, so I tried the Roku stick on my TV and I have noticed that the quality with the Roku is much better, and it's also HDR.

How is possible that the embedded app on the TV is less capable than what the app on Roku is less capable? Who is to blame here in this difference? Samsung or NowTV?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

NowTV doesn't offer HDR on any device platform (including Roku).

I own a Roku Stick Plus, but don't own a HDR television (where my Panasonic TV is a 4K television pre HDR).

So i don't know if you can force HDR on the Roku if the NowTV content is not nativity streamed in HDR, though all you are seeing is the HDR notification flag on your TV screen.

Using the NowTV Boost Pass i notice no difference in picture quality on both my Roku Stick Plus or my Youview box.

I would have thought both your high end Samsung Q85R and Roku are using quad core processing so i don't think it's a hardware issue.

The Roku Stick Plus does have an external powerful WiFi antenna inbuilt into the USB power wiring cable, where perhaps if you are using WiFi on your Samsung Smart TV rather than using Ethernet, the Samsung inbuilt WiFi antenna is not has good has the Roku where perhaps this is where the difference in PQ lies.

If you are using Ethernet on your Samsung Smart TV, then my WiFi theory isn't relevant.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

NowTV doesn't offer HDR on any device platform (including Roku).

I own a Roku Stick Plus, but don't own a HDR television (where my Panasonic TV is a 4K television pre HDR).

So i don't know if you can force HDR on the Roku if the NowTV content is not nativity streamed in HDR, though all you are seeing is the HDR notification flag on your TV screen.

Using the NowTV Boost Pass i notice no difference in picture quality on both my Roku Stick Plus or my Youview box.

I would have thought both your high end Samsung Q85R and Roku are using quad core processing so i don't think it's a hardware issue.

The Roku Stick Plus does have an external powerful WiFi antenna inbuilt into the USB power wiring cable, where perhaps if you are using WiFi on your Samsung Smart TV rather than using Ethernet, the Samsung inbuilt WiFi antenna is not has good has the Roku where perhaps this is where the difference in PQ lies.

If you are using Ethernet on your Samsung Smart TV, then my WiFi theory isn't relevant.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi there,

You are right. I have indeed been able to compare with equivalent speeds on both sides, the Roku stick having a wifi hotspot nearby, and the TV connected to the ethernet port, and it is indeed the same quality.

Before I was having both on wifi where the router is located far away, but probably Roku was able to pick much better bandwith.

Thank you very much for your useful reply -:)

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The wifi antenna built into most Smart TV's are not that powerful & great from my experience and if practically possible always go down the Ethernet route to maximise a stable streaming experience for the most reliable and best picture quality.

Though i do find the NowTV App is more sensitive to poor wifi performance compared to other Apps that i have tested.