cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV app has constant issues casting from phone to Chromecast on AndroidTV

I recently bought a new AndroidTV which has a built in Chromecast and resubscribed to NowTV which I cast to my TV from my Android phone.

At first I was having problems where upon tapping the episode I wanted to start I'd get a "Viewing stopped. Something's gone wrong. If the problem persists, contact Online Support Team" error without it even loading anything, but usually on second or third try it'd load up on my TV, but then at some point during the episode it would randomly stop playback, and I'd have to reload it, often getting that same error again before loading successfully. And of course when I kept going back to restart episodes, the app wasn't always remembering where I was in them so then I'd have to scrub to the right place. And inevitably at some other point down the line, playback would stop again etc etc.

I've just had a chat with someone on live chat who basically told me apart from all the troubleshooting steps (restarting router, reinstalling app, reinstalling chromecast on google home, rebooting chromecast via tv, etc) all I could do would be to wait on a software update. I've gone back to the app to try again just now and the second I try and do anything with chromecast I get the error, nothing loads now at all, unless I've 'stopped casting' and it's just playing directly on the phone. I've uninstalled the app a couple of times now to retry and no luck.

Has anyone else had these problems? And ever found a solution? It's literally the worst user experience.

15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Both yesterday and today I have tried to watch the football by casting from my phone to my Shield TV using Chromecast. Never had an issue doing this over the past year until yesterday.

On both occasions, the football stopped playing after about 25-30 mins. Tried to obtain assistance on the Live Chat who said that casting from my phone using a Chromecast was effectively two devices and I therefore needed to purchase the Boost upgrade. I said I did not think this was correct and asked where on the NowTV site it said this but there was no answer provided about this. I also said I did not think this was advertised when I signed up.

So that's £33 per month for 30 minutes of football per match...hmmm

targaid
Mentor

Been taking the trial period. Won't be renewing because of this frequent issue.

RoyB
Legend

@targaid 

At least congratulate yourself on using the trial period in exactly the way it was designed to be used, before spending any money.

Now don’t, for some reason, support casting to virtual Chromecasts; your choices, if you didn’t want to give up on Now, which means giving up on a lot of content that no one else has, is between a physical Chromecast, and a Roku or Amazon device, both of which carry the Now app and can be plugged into any TV of your choice with a spare HDMI port.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
targaid
Mentor
I'm using a Chromecast. 🤷‍♂️
RoyB
Legend

@targaid 

Well that shows the limitations of jumping on an existing thread with a certain title, as the Chromecast on Android TVs is virtual. And up until now, has been what this thread is about,

So you are using a physical Chromecast? And if it’s not to an Android TV, then what are you casting to?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Blindj
Scholar

@targaid 

The Boost Pass is only applicable to NowTV Entertainment, NowTV Cinema and NowTV Sports Passes.

It will have no effect on your Netflix App, because it only relates to the three NowTV Passes above.

Hi 

On your LG Web OS TV the Boost Pass would offer 1080p and 5.1 surround sound if you have a suitable surround system.

NowTV recommends 12Mbps down speeds at your playback device to experience their Boost serv