cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV Samsung Smart TV & Samsung Smart View compatibility

I use the Android Smart View app from Samsung to use as a remote control from my mobile to my Samsung MU6100 Smart TV. The TV has the NowTV app installed and running ok.

I can control the NowTV app via my mobile through the Smart View app. At least, I can move around the menu screens using up/down/left/right. When I try to initiate anything by pressing the OK button, the TV's NowTV app doesn't register it. I have to use the TV's actual remote control to press OK.

Samsung Smart View's OK button works fine with other apps (Netflix etc), only NowTV is affected. This leads me to think it's an implementation issue in the NowTV app.
6 REPLIES 6
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

I’ve just tried this on my Samsung UE32J6300, software version 1530, NowTV App version 4.3.19, with the iPad app (2.1.6.0 running on my iPad Pro 9.7” on iOS 12.3.1) and the Android app (2.1.0.107 running on my 1st Gen Moto G Android 5.1).

Everything works perfectly, with OK signified by tapping the centre of either Trackpad or Directional Arrows. (There’s nothing actually marked OK, in either of these, on either the iPad or the Android version - is this what you find also?)

What are your model and version numbers compared with mine, for TV and Android devices and apps?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Samsung Smart View 2.1.0.107
Samsung UE40MU6100 firmware 1262
Android 7.0

(I will check NowTV app version later).

Yes the OK button is just the button in the middle of the up/down/left/right buttons.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
NowTV App version 4.3.19.

I just tested again. The 'OK button' works fine when in Directional mode. It doesn't function in Trackpad mode (I'm not using the Trackpad functionality, just tapping in the middle).

Other apps on the TV do work fine using the OK button in Trackpad mode. Only NowTV has this problem!
RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

I did wonder about the two modes, so I was careful to try both, on both Android and iPad, and all 4 options worked fine.

While only NowTV has this problem, for you, it does seem that it can further be narrowed down to something about the version of the TV, or the NowTV app on the TV, or the version of Samsung Smart View, or of Android, on your sending device.

Same SmartView; different Android which may matter; different TVs, which may not.

So knowing which version of the NowTV app is in use on your TV is probably significant, as I suspect this is where the trouble might lie. And can you update it from the Samsung Apps store on the TV?

As for the Android version, do you have any other Android devices you can try? My Moto G and it’s Android are rather old, but I’ve got a Nexus tablet somewhere I can dig out and give this a go on.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
NowTV app version is the same as yours: 4.3.19. I don't have any other Android devices unfortunately.
RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

How do you ‘lose’ a Nexus? I know it’s in my study somewhere... 😞

I guess your workaround for the moment then, is to use Directional Pad.

As a last despairing test of Trackpad though, what happens when you rotate your phone from Portrait to Landscape and try it? And then the two further 90 degree rotations?