cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rvon
Mentor

Now won't play content on ROKU stick

NOW will not play any content via my ROKU 4K stick. It's supposed to be a supported device , and it opens the NOW app and will play adverts and trailers. But any attempt to play content results in an errot message. "Protected content license error"

I can play on Laptop and phone, but not on my TV with ROKU stick. This applies to all content.

Account has been reset by chatbot (useless) but no change, I was promised a response over a month ago,(by chatbot, useless) but nothing.

Any ideas? Anyone else have this problem.? Anyone successfully watching using a 4K ROKU stick?

11 REPLIES 11
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Rvon 

Have you tried deleting and reinstalling the app?

Is the Roku stick fully updated?

Try unplugging both the Roku stick and your router for a few minutes. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Rvon
Mentor

Done all that. This has been going on for a month. Despite chatbot promises I've ha no further response in that time. I'm about to give up an cancel, but wondered if anyone else has had this experience with a roku stick/box.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Rvon 

Don't bother with the 'Get help quicker' bot. You want live chat to speak with staff. 

Make sure to be signed in and use the 'How to get in touch' drop down.
https://help.nowtv.com/get-in-touch/tv/problems-watching-now

Rvon
Mentor

I have used the chat facility. It claims to be "an Human", but they won't deviate from stock scripted answers and say they will refer the problem to a higher customer service team who will respond by email. They never do, well at least not so far.

Nitro
Scholar 3

Seen this issue before, try this:

However, when this feature is enabled, the app may “think” you are attempting to record the DRM-protected content. Then, you will get the protected content license error Roku TV. To solve this issue, you need to disable this feature. Here is the guide:

1. On the Roku TV, go to Settings > Display Type > select the 1080P option.
  2. Go to Settings > System > Advanced System Settings to disable the Auto-adjust display refresh rate feature. 

Protected Content means the stick thinks your pirating content, which you are not.

Hope this works.

Rvon
Mentor

Thankyou both for the suggestions. I hadn't tried the display settings change before, but unfortunately it hasn't changed the problem, and the content protection error still remains.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Rvon 

Best to jump onto live chat and report the fault. Hopefully it gets sorted for you in the end!

Nitro
Scholar 3

can you try this too

1. Launch the Roku’s Settings and open the System. Then select Advanced System Settings and click on Network Connection Reset.
  2. Perform a Network Connection Reset of the Roku Device
  3. Now confirm to reset the network connection of the Roku device and wait till the device automatically reboots after completing the process.
  4. Then re-connect the device to your network and afterward, launch
RoyB
Legend

@Rvon 

Yes, I can successfully watch 4K on three Roku devices on three separate 4K TVs, a Roku Premiere, a Roku Express 4K, and a Roku Streaming Stick+.

I trust you are using the HDMI cable that came with the Roku device (unless it really is a Stick, of course, and not an Express)?

Anyway, try dropping the resolution to 1080p (HD) in the Roku Stick’s Settings, and report back if it then works or not.

Also, can you please specify the make and model of TV you are trying to use here?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.