cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now tv not working on my Samsung tv

Hi all 

My now tv has stopped working on my tv. It was working fine yesterday but now when I load up a program to watch it loads then cuts off and doesn't so any error messages. I have uninstall the app and then reinstalled it but still not work. Has anybody got any ideas on what could do next. Thanks 

23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the same issue on a Samsung UE48J6300.

15-20 sec on the loading screen followed by a momentary white screen which only displays a 'Back' button in the centre (no message) and then instantly thrown back to the main screen. 

I was using it last night -- less than 24hrs ago, everything was working.    Today is the first time I've experienced problems using Now on the Samsung TV at any time over the past 12-18 months. 

Things I've tried which haven't fixed the problem: 

- Tested with 3 different programmes (it's not a problem with a particular programme/series)

- Hard power-cycled the TV (unplugged power from the wall and left it for 3-4 mins) 

- Hard power-cycled the broadband router (unplugged power from the wall and reconnected)

- Deleted then reinstalled the app on the TV, signed back in.

PC player is working on Win10, so my account is working, and the programmes are also working.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I had a realisation that Samsung J-series TVs run apps which are web-browser based, and therefore could be breaking due to a NowTV app update conflicting with something lingering around in the browser's cache which shouldn't be there.  

(I've seen this sort of thing happen in regular web apps sometimes - browsers try to be efficient in avoiding re-downloading the same files every time you load the same page/app,  which is nice until it misses the fact that the files it's avoiding re-downloading have been updated since the last time they were fetched).

This is what eventually worked for me to reset/clear out the cache:

1) Open the Web Browser application

2) Click on the menu icon in the top-right corner

3) Go to Settings

4) Select Privacy & Security from the left-hand side menu

5) Scroll all the way to the bottom and click on the Delete Browsing Data option

6) Click on Yes to confirm clearing cache.

If this hadn't worked, my next step would have been to reset the Smart Hub altogether, although that option is annoying because it means setting everything up all over again from scratch.

Note: I've no idea what specifically might have been in the cache -  I'd suspect an outdated script file causing the TV/browser not to bother updating/refreshing to NowTV's latest script files.  Alternatively maybe the app updated but some persistent session data or cookie might have been lingering and the app just didn't know how to handle it.

I did not go as far as enabling the TV's developer mode to try digging out log files to see whether that would reveal the real problem, though the frustration was pushing me toward that point.

Feedback for the NowTV app dev team - please add a test to your release workflow for updates against older J-Series TVs (Tizen 2.3).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My now TV is exactly the same what's happening the last few days it hasn't been great tried turning on and off but reinstall but no joy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm the same every one else. Done all the fixes I've heard about and still not working!

Majudaem
Mentor

As a bit of an update, I've put the old now tv box back on the TV i used to use and it works through that! So it has to be the app on the TV? Still no contact with anyone after my live chat that couldn't fix it? What sort of service is this when you can't speak to anyone.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Majudaem 

The first page of the thread you'll see a post by me which has 2 ways to speak to staff at NOW. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Majudaem
Mentor

Yes i referenced your reply and have done live chat now twice and sent a video of the fault, still they haven't fixed it

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

I haven't seen any tweet reports by customers yet over on NOW Twitter to see if NOW acknowledge an issue on certain Samsung Smart TV models and is being investigated.

If forum members are seeing a white screen after attempting to play something on the NOW inbuilt App, then it sounds similar to this linked thread below going back to 2018.

Reading the thread there was only workarounds to the problem.

I haven't got a Samsung Smart TV to test to see if the problem is more widespread or just related to a couple of different Samsung model numbers.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Set-top-boxes-Smart-TVs/Blank-white-screen-on-Samsung-tv/m-p/464686#M... 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the exact same issue with sky sports since the weekend on my Samsung tv app. Click on a programme and the tv opens up then immediately says back and takes me back to the menu guide screen 

Strangely though I logged out and then logged in to the tv app under a different now tv account (entertainment) and the issues don’t present themselves?

can anyone confirm if the error is limited to sports or does it happen to anyone with a different package?

thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's not just sports. I have the same problem with Entertainment.

I've just tried it again after unplugging the TV from the wall for about 20 minutes...and strangely it is now working.