cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV with built in chromecast

Hello. 

Just signed up for the Now TV sky sports package. It works on my phone, however, I can't cast into the Built in chromecast came with my Sony Bravia and Nvidia Shield. I tried both but no luck. It just throws me an error when I started playing something. Any idea? 

I can play YouTube, Netflix etc so the issue is not with my device. 

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update

-----------

It's still not supported as per online chat

'I am afraid but you need a separate Google Chrome Cast device to cast the NOW TV contents.'

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User have a read of the 2 threads right above yours or the 5 or 6 below.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks @Saint1976 . I didn't know there was an issue with Chromecastm my bad.

My question is specifically regarding the 'built-in' chromecast comes with Sony TV/ Nvidia Shield.

As per this thread Now TV doesn't support this : https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Set-top-boxes-Smart-TVs/Built-in-Chromecast/td-p/487086

I just want to confirm whether this is still the case.

Thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update

-----------

It's still not supported as per online chat

'I am afraid but you need a separate Google Chrome Cast device to cast the NOW TV contents.'

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

i have a Philips Android Smart TV with the inbuilt Google Casting feature (not Chromecast dongle) and it works for me with my Android Tablet.

Watching the Spurs v Everton Game now, where the only downside is that the playback is 25fps with my NowTV Boost Pass (not a problem if you don't watch sports).

To save on a registered device i cast to my Philips TV before hitting the play button on my tablet, where my tablet is not one of my six registered devices (only the Philips TV is one of my six devices on my account).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is your Phillips an OLED? 

My casting works, it didn't do about 2 months ago. But the screensaver kicks in as it doesnt recognise its playing a video, very annoying 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Wish my TV was an OLED 😀.

Unfortunately it's a Philips model 58PUS8545/12 LCD television.

I don't use the inbuilt Google Chromecast feature much on the above television (only really tested it with NowTV Sports on Demand), but when using the casting feature from my Android Tablet to the television i didn't experience the screen saver kicking in.

Normally i tend to use my NowTV box or Roku Stick + with the television.

Don't know if there is any settings in your Philips TV or mobile casting device that is triggering the TV screen saver when watching NowTV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a now tv stick but it doesn't like my WiFi and keeps buffering the TV chromecast plays back perfect.

I'll just have to live with it, can't turn the screensaver off as the kids leave it on when I'm not about 😡

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

With regards to your NowTV Stick, i am assuming you had a play around with the WiFi channels on your Router and if your Router is dual band, then test the Stick on both 2.4 ghz & 5ghz ?

No guarantee, but sometimes a HDMI extender flylead improves the wifi reception by moving the Stick slightly away from the television back casing.

The majority of my devices work over Ethernet where possible (though my Roku Stick + has a wifi external booster antenna and runs NowTV pretty stable).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I bought a budget mesh system which has been great but it doesn't allow the channel to be changed. Everything else works perfect even the roku but the now tv stick it doesn't like. 

I've also noticed the now tv stick adds loads of pixelation to the picture, you can see it on the black screen. Much clearer image with the chromecast I'll just keep the remote handy for when the warning comes up.