cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
odo
Mentor

Now TV on Firestick - Audio but Black Screen?

Sorry if label isn't relevant, I had to select something...

Set up is Now TV app on Amazon Firestick watching on Hitachi TV.

Issue is that the menu is absolutely fine, but when trying to watch specific shows (most recently house of the dragon) I get a black screen as soon as the episode starts but I still have sound. I can even see the buffer icon but that disappears when the episode starts. I go back to the menu and the picture is fine again.

Honestly not sure if it's an issue with the TV, the firestick or the app (don't have another TV to test on) - however I haven't yet encountered it outside of the Now TV app.

I have tried the following multiple times: powering down the TV, factory resetting the firestick, deleting and reinstalling the app, switching HDMI ports and checking all connections but the issue remains.

Any advice is greatly appreciated as I am getting so frustrated with it now. TIA

5 REPLIES 5
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @odo 

Also same issue reported on this linked thread below and I have seen somebody else report it over on NOW Twitter.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Other-Apps/Sound-but-no-picture/m-p/588977 

Is it only happening on House of the Dragon or all NOW TV shows? 

The reason I am asking a lot of people have been complaining about how dark the House of the Dragon picture looks and on certain scenes you can't see anything because it's too dark.

odo
Mentor

Hi @schnapps  - thanks for directing me to that thread, didn't see it when I searched previously although I note there is not a complete resolution.

Yes I have seen some posts on twitter and reddit about the darkness but this is a separate issue as the screen is literally pitch black, even when the intro ads are playing. I have just tested on several other TV shows (Succession, White Lotus, Game of Thrones, Sex and the City, True Detective) and they all have the exact same issue. In fact the only two that I have tested which work are Intelligence and Sherlock.

As I said, unsure if an issue with the TV, the firestick or Now TV so hoping to get a bit of a steer from the community - many thanks

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @odo 

Can't really help sorry where my Amazon 4K Fire Stick is running perfectly fine when using the NOW App.

If it was happening on everything over the NOW App then I would have said it might be either an HDMI or HDMI CEC conflict between the Fire Stick NOW App and your TV (assuming the Fire Stick is plugged directly into your television with nothing else in the HDMI chain such has a HDMI splitter for example).

Perhaps send an email to NOW support using the address from this screenshot below.

youdoodle-2020-05-11T14-12-50Z.jpg

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @odo 

Reading this tweet below from the screen shot taken from NOW Twitter Help it looks like the person in this tweet had the same problem your are experiencing.

It seems that NOW live chat resolved the issue for them, but they didn't say how NOW live chat fixed it.

Maybe try NOW live chat.

Do you need a NOW live chat link ?

youdoodle-2022-10-10T15-09-04Z.jpg

odo
Mentor

Hi @schnapps 

Just off of live chat actually but unfortunately they were unable to help - usual suggestions of turning everything off and back on again, reinstalling the app etc. Told me to contact Amazon but have a feeling i'll just be going round in circles..

Thanks for your help though