cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chilli2
Elite

Now TV in the Channel islands - not alowed under broadcasting rights regulations

If you are trying to watch Now TV in the Chanel islands, and/orthe Isle of man, Roku will activly block you, as wathcing Now TV and other UK catchup services in the Chanel islands/Isle of Man is prohibited under established broadcast rights.

See here https://forums.roku.com/viewforum.php?f=28

Are Roku wrong on this?

I was trying to assist someone setting up a Rou device, but Roku have told me in no uncertain terms that trying to circumvent rights restrictions, and allow people in the Channel islands/Isle of man is in breach of interntaional regualtions as these servces are not avialable outside the UK

20 REPLIES 20
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@chilli2

According to NOW TV you should be able to watch in Channel Islands and Isle of Man. 

https://help.nowtv.com/article/can-i-watch-now-tv-abroad

It it may be that NOW TV isn't picking up your correct geographical location, try turning off your router for 10 mins and then booting back up and trying again. If you still have trouble have a word with live chat and see if they can help.

You can reach live chat here

https://help.nowtv.com/contact-us/can-i-watch-now-tv-abroad

chilli2
Elite

I've got no problems myself, its more of an assist issue for someone else not quite as tech savy.

Roku have stated that Now Tv ( as well as all other  UK specific catchup/demand services) is not available in the Channel islands/isle of Man, as wathicng Now TV etc is in breach of established broadcast rights, and circumventing these is akin to piracy.

This has resulted in the person i was trying to help becoming highly confused, and will not be renewing/taking up any Now TV package,  as they do not want to be prosecuted for internet piracy "like the kodi people"  as such thy will be sticking to a DVR solution and whatever is available over the air/on an antenna (Channle islands =freeview lite)

It may be useful if someone form Now tV could contact Roku, or even post in the forums stating that these servicces are allowed in the Channel islands/Isle of Man, as i beleive that Rokus definitions are worng and will only cause ( more) confusion, possibly even driving other people to use alternative sources that do not benefit those who make the content

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@chilli2  I'm pretty sure Roku support are US based, possibly they are unsure of the exact scope of NOW TV services given that Channel Islands and IOM are independent states. They provide support for the hardware but aren't experts on every app available on the boxes.

I'll tag @Karl-F and @Simon-J from the NOW TV Team in case they want to contact Roku about the support they give.

You could always direct your friend to the help page mentioned above to reassure them they can use the service.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@chilli2

Just checked and it's also mentioned in the NOW TV terms of service so there shouldn't be any need for your friend to worry.

WHO CAN SIGN UP TO NOW TV?

Anyone aged 18 or over living in the UK (including the Isle of Man and Channel Islands) can sign up to use NOW TV.

chilli2
Elite

Theres only so much i can do from a distance, and it may be a case of trying to bolt the stable door after the horse has gone.

Roku are quite insistant that its not legal or lawful to wacth or use UK on demand/catchup services in the Channel islands as they are not the UK (as in UK propper) and have separate IP addresses that are not UK mainland specific. ( ie Jersey Telecom as opposed to BT)

it all ends with: Rou classes the Channel islands/Isle of Man as the Rest of the world, therefore UK services are not available, circumventing regional locks is against Rokus terms and conditions.

Take a look at the Roku forums and replys form Roku Shawn

and you wonder why people turn to pirated streams online, when the offical sources/providers are as helpful as that.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@chilli2

Yeah fair enough, it's just a shame they went to Roku for support rather than direct to NOW TV.

chilli2
Elite

To be hinest with you, i dont think Now TV support would have ben ale to solve the issue, other than offering a now tv box, and the fact that Roku block Roku boxes from picking up Now TV and other UK catchup services, it would be quesionable weather or not the Now TV box would offer full functionality.

The issue is that Roku activly block and prevent those in the Channel Islands/Isle of man from accessing services they are legally allowed access to.

The reason for chosing Roku as oposed to the plain Now TV box was due to all ther other bells and whistles that theNow TV box doesnt offer.

The ony real solution would be for Roku to correctly classify the Channel islands/Isle of an as being within the UK Broadcast/TV rights area, as oppsoed to the restricted "rest of the world" catergory that Roku currently assign to the Channel islands/Isle of Man, and tht will only take place if the content providers, such as Now TV/Sky, the BBC etc get in touch with Roku so that Roku will correctly classify these areas

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@chilli2

Apologies I assumed your friend was just asking whether you can use NOW TV in CI/IOM but having now read the Roku forum it looks like a definite problem with Roku appearing reluctant to help resolve. It's the first time I've come across the issue but I agree it's one that NOW TV need to look into, as well as whether NOW TV boxes may have similar issues.

Hopefully with the community managers having been tagged they might respond after the weekend with any info they have.

Thanks for raising it on here.

Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @chilli2,

Thanks for flagging this up. As far as I'm aware our licences do cover the Channel islands. But if Roku's rules conflict with this then you're very right we need to address this. 

I'll see if I can make some enquires and come back to you.

Thanks

Simon