cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV doesn't work on my android box

I have an android set top box and have the Now TV app installed on it. Here was me thining everything would be good, err no it isn't.

I wanted to watch a program earlier, and after I logged into my Now TV, selected the program to watch, I got a message saying that it doesn't  support streaming by hdmi from a mobile device.

The android box is connected by hdmi cable through an amplifire then to my TV, so how come Now TV say it's a moble device.

9 REPLIES 9
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Bad news i am afraid, NowTV doesn't support Android TV boxes, where the only Android OS platform that they support is smartphones & tablets (where you can't connect these mobile devices over HDMI to a television) Smiley Sad

This linked guide will explain what supported devices you can watch on the NowTV service.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now-tv

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply and link.

I selected a TV box, then choose my bundle, entertainment only, but they have sold out.

On the app, I have entertainment only.

Can I buy my own NowTV box and install the app on that.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

If you don't own any of the supported devices on the link, then the cheapest option would be a nowtv stick or nowtv box with a bundled voucher pass from somewhere like Curry's or Argos.

Other wise maybe look on Ebay or Amazon for nowtv boxes or nowtv stick.

If you have a nowtv pass such has entertainment, cinema etc, then you can use the nowtv pass on up to 4 devices on your account.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks, and I am presently on a 14 day trial, of which this is my 10th day.

When I signed up I opted for an Entertainment only pass, and have a order reference number for that.

Does that count as a nowtv pass.

If I buy my own nowtv box does it have to be connected directly to my tv. As I have an amplifier with 2 floor standing speakers, I would prefer to connect it to that,

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Yeah, your 14 day free entertainment trial is identical to a nowtv entertainment pass.

If you don't wan't to continue with the entertainment service after the 14 days, then make sure you cancel the trial before day 14.

Otherwise after this date, the entertainment pass will continue each month at a cost of £7.99 per month until you cancel.

You may find if you cancel the 14 day free entertainment trial, nowtv may offer you a reduced price for a couple of months on a retention deal.

If you wish to continue with the entertainment pass and you are looking for a playback device to watch on your TV, then maybe look at a nowtv stick with either a bundled 2 or 3 month entertainment pass voucher included in the price.

Retailers such has Curry's, Argos or the Main Supermarkets tend to sell the nowtv stick with the bundled entertainment voucher for around the £15 to £20 price point.

Does your amplifier have any HDMI inputs with any HDMI outputs to connect to your TV ?

Or does your TV have any spare HDMI inputs to connect the nowtv stick or nowtv box, together with a digital optical out or RCA phono (Red & white audio out) that you can wire back to your Amp ?

Out of curisoity what is the make and model of both your TV and Amp ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My TV is a Samsung UF48JU6400K about 4 years old now, and my amplifier is a PioneerVSX-930K, which is 3 years old.

The  TV and all my other devices are connected by HDMI to the Amplifier, which include an android TV box, CD Player, Satellite box and video recorder/player.

There are 3 spare HDMI inputs on the TV.

I'll look and see what Curry's and Argos have in NowTV boxes.

Just out of interest, can the stick stream content as good or as fast as a NowTV box connected by ethernet.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

If you are going down the hard wired route, then yes a nowtv box over Ethernet will be more reliable and stable streaming content than over wifi.

So yes, the nowtv box would be a better option to go for, rather than the nowtv stick.

Looking at your Pioneer AV reciever, then all you need to do is connect the nowtv box via HDMI to a spare HDMI input port on your Pioneer Reciever ( similar to what you have done with your Satellite box & Android box).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for that, and yes I prefer to go down the hardwire route, as even I have good connections wifi here, I don't like it for anything that can be hardwired.

I've ordered a nowtv box from amazon and it includes 4 nowtv passes, but I only want 1.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the nowTV box hardwired and connected to my amplifier, and it all works great.

The nowTV help team didn't think or couldn't say it would work ok connected to my amp, but I know it does.