cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV box v App and Chromecast

Please could someone let me know the answer to this question.

Which will give the best picture quality the box or using the  app through chromecast. I noticed you can set the Now TV Box to 1080p.

Regards,

Will

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User  of course unless you have the same model of TV in both location, the TV itself will have a bearing on the quality of the picture,  clarity of sound etc.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Although the NOW TV box is capable of 1080p that's only for apps that support it, which at the moment Now TV doesn't.

Both the Chromecast and black NOW TV box will give you the same performance up to 720p for all on-demand content and the live sports channels, SD for movies, kids and entertainment live channels. The newer NOW TV SMart Box also gives you 720p on all live channels.

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Streaming-Quality

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Andy, I just wondered as Im using chromecast downstairs and the Now TV box upstairs. I watch mostly upstairs so may switch them around as I prefer chromecast.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

No worries. There's a chance you might see some slight difference in picture quality due to the Chromecast being a device that tends to get plugged round the back of the TV and so the strength of wifi signal it picks up may be somewhat weaker than the box which can sit in a better position, particularly if your router is downstairs and you are using it upstairs. But you'll soon find out once you test it.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

If you are looking at pure picture quality and forget about the pros and cons between the different devices such has other apps available etc then my vote would be the new nowtv smart box.

I have owned a Chromecast, standard nowtv black box, Apple TV 3 and the new smart box with the inbuilt Freeview tuner  and i personally think that the smart box has the slight edge for picture quality IMO where the picture looks a little sharper with a smoother more natural movement with the 50Hz video playback (also the Chromecast has a 50hz option).

I am sure your post will divide opinion, where some forum members will say Chromecast or others will say there is no noticeable difference when comparing devices while watching the streaming service.

Even though the nowtv box and Chromecast can be set to output a 1080p display, NowTV highest current streams are quoted at a maximum of 720p (see guide article linked below for further details about streaming quality on different devices).

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Streaming-Quality

Whatever you decide, i am sure you will be satisfied with the device. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi schnapps,

I have only just seen your reply. 

Ill have to admit I cant tell the difference between the box so Im happy with my chromecast. I am also buying the ehternet adapter for my chromecast so there can be no doubt?

Please could you explain the 50 HZ option. Will activating it improve motion like you suggested? 

Cheers,

Relica

BicBasher
Elite

@Anonymous User  The 50Hz option on your Chromecast will give you a much smoother playback, especially with fast action movies and sport.

The easiest way to see why the default 60Hz Chromecast option isn't giving the best picture playback is to cast either the BBC News Channel on the iPlayer app or Sky News on YouTube and you'll notice the ticker with the news on it stutters a bit, while using the 50Hz option is smooth.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

I missed your last post sorry, don't know why i didn't pick it up (perhaps it was a date when the forum went nuts when ever the nowtv services experience technical difficulties) . Smiley Sad

Anyway a quick tip if you want to post a specific question to someone or wish members to engage in a discussion on the forum the best method is to insert an @  symbol in front of the username. Smiley Happy

Like @BicBasher has said , settings 50hz on your device whilst watching UK content broadcasted at 50hz will make the picture motion look more smoother reducing judder on fast camera pans on things like Sports, the news ticker bar and rolling credits etc.

Some people are not bothered or don't really notice it, but for me it spoils the viewing pleasure and bugs me to hell. Smiley Mad

With the older nowtv white and standard black boxes they were fixed at 60hz where the new smart box is fixed at 50hz.

The only time that i have noticed judder on my new smart box was when i was watching the CNET App where there was a car review and you could clearly tell it was shoot at 60hz for their American online subscribers because on the camera pans the picture was extremely juddery.

One good thing that the Chromecast has over the nowtv boxes is that there is an option in the menu settings to switch between either 50hz or 60hz which would have been perfect for me when watching the CNET video clip above. Smiley Happy

Ideally i would have liked to have seen the nowtv boxes have the customer adjustable option in it's  menu settings to have either Auto, 50hz or 60hz video playback like you see on the ATV and AFTV devices. Smiley Very Happy

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User  of course unless you have the same model of TV in both location, the TV itself will have a bearing on the quality of the picture,  clarity of sound etc.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.