cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV app on Sony/Android tvs

I was just in John Lewis looking for a new smart TV and was originally looking for either a Samsung or LG TV as they have the now TV app. However the salesman was telling me I should go for a Sony TV as that is getting the now TV app in September. I can't see any info a out this so I am wondering if he was just telling me this to sell a TV. Has anyone heard this too or can someone from now TV confirm if it is true or not?

33 REPLIES 33
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Three things:-

1. A NowTV Stick is under £20. You should not let the presence or absence of the app sway your decision here.

2. Ask the salesman if he will put that in writing, with agreement that you can return the set for a full refund on 1st October if the app is not present by then.

3. Read the Sony Android forum for a bit. Then if you choose Sony, you will at least be going into it with open eyes.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the tips. I will have a look through that forum but I have a feeling from the Google searches I have done that the salesman was just telling me that to sell a more expensive TV.

@Anonymous User  @RoyB 

A few months ago, there was an invitation to sign up for a beta trial of a NOW TV app on the Sony Android tv. As a Sony XE90 owner, I signed up for this but never heard anything further about it. So your source could be correct (although a September timescale for release may be optimistic, based on my past experience of beta testing apps & software for Sky & NOW TV taking quite a long time to make final release).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks, that does sound like they are working on something then.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

lets hope so - another Sony Android TV user here frustrated that only service I can't use native on the TV is Now TV

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was assured by the salesman I spoke to in Currys that this was being rolled out in the next couple of weeks. Time will tell!

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Did you get him to sign something to that effect?

A verbal assurance isn’t worth the paper it’s written on.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I took at it face value. I'm not too worried either way

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

I guess it wasn’t an inducement you relied on to buy a Sony Android TV for somewhere north of £2,000, then... 😛