cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV app issue on Apple TV

I've noticed that the Now TV service doesn't work on my Apple TV at night time. The Now TV service does work on my phone at the same time at night which is surprising. Also, the Now TV service does work on my Apple TV in the morning and afternoon but it doesn't work at night. At night, the Now TV app fails to start up or load up and it just terminates in a black screen and then it returns to the home screen. All my other apps work on my Apple TV late at night. I tried unplugging my modem and Apple TV for 1 min and restarted them but it didn't resolve the problem. I even carried out a factory reset on my Apple TV along with an uninstall and reinstall of my Now TV app but it didn't fix it. My Apple TV device is also updated with the latest software version. The Now TV app does work on my phone at night time but the Now TV app doesn't work on my Apple TV for some strange reason late at night despite having a perfect working internet connection and with no slow down in Internet line speed. My location is set to UK on the device. Why does the Now TV service not work on my Apple TV at night time? It works in the morning and afternoon on my Apple TV but not at night time. Apart from the Now TV app, all the other apps on my Apple TV work at night. This is an ongoing problem as I'm experiencing this issue every night now whereby the Now TV app on my Apple TV doesn't start.

I'd welcome any suggestions or input.

Thanks
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for posting, sorry to hear you've had some issues trying to view on your Apple TV late at night, this is strange and we've not heard this issue before. Can you try rebooting your router and or box. Also try having no other device using the wi-fi.

I think this will be more to do with the internet provider. It would be good to contact them and see why this only occurs and night.

Cheers

Ranj

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I've tried rebooting my router and my Apple TV 4th generation device but it didn't resolve the issue. Please note, that I've carried out numerous troubleshooting steps as mentioned in my previous post.  Also, my Apple TV is usually the only WiFi device connected to my home network at night.  However, sometimes I might connect my phone and laptop wirelessly to my network at that same late night time in order to investigate whether the Now TV problem is related to one device or all connected devices.  I discovered that the problem only exists with my Apple TV at night time.  By the way, the Now TV service works on my Apple TV in the morning and afternoon but it doesn't work late at night.  Please note, that I've carried out a factory reset on my Apple TV by doing a restore and I set up the device again by re-downloading the Now TV app on it but it hasn't fixed this glitch.  Furthermore, like I mentioned before, my Apple TV is running the latest tvOS software version.  My broadband connection speed or line speed is also the same at night because I tested its speed on my Apple TV.

I'll describe the symptoms of the problem again.  At night, the Now TV app fails to start up or load up on my Apple TV whilst showing the spinner icon.  It eventually just terminates in a black screen and then it returns to the home screen of my Apple TV after a lengthy period of inactivity.  Sometimes, very rarely though, the Now TV app on my Apple TV may load up late at night but when I select settings in order to login, the app just freezes and terminates.   Please note, that I have a working Internet connection late at night. All the other apps work on my Apple TV late at night.

Just to recap. 

The Now TV app on my phone works all the time.
The Now TV app on my laptop  works all the time.
The Now TV app on my Apple TV does NOT work late at night but does work in the morning and afternoon.

All my other apps work late at night.

I'd much prefer to watch the Now TV service on the big screen via my Apple TV set top box and would only use the service on my phone while on the move.  I'd be reluctant to buy Now TV passes because I wouldn't be able to view content at night.  Does Now TV impose some region block or shift things around at night which affect the Now TV app on the Apple TV or is the currently developed Now TV app version of Apple TV just problematic?  The problem can't be due to a maintenance upgrade to the Now TV service late at night because I'm experiencing this fault every night on my Apple TV and all my other Now TV connected devices aren't affected.  Please note, the location setting on my Apple TV is set to the UK region and is never changed.  I'd be grateful if Now TV could provide a solution to this issue.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The problem is NOT due to an issue with my Internet service provider because the Now TV service works on my phone late at night and all the other apps work on my Apple TV late at night too. The problem is simply due to a malfunction in the Now TV app on my Apple TV at night time. Please read my earlier reply posted today.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have exactly the same issue of Now TV not working in the evenings via Apple TV but working fine on other Apple devices and computer. I have also tried all normal trouble shooting solutions with no success. 

I cant ant believe that Now TV haven't heard of this before??

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Khoz,

Thanks for replying.  It's some consolation to know that I'm not the only person experiencing this problem.  Obviously, as more people will make Now TV aware of the issue, the greater the chance that corrective action may be taken.  Some other people may have encounterd occasional disruption to their Now TV service on the Apple TV but may not be regular users of the service or may not have noticed that the problem occurs mostly in the late evenings and so haven't reported it.   Maybe a future update to the Now TV app might resolve it but it's unlikely.  The operation of the Now TV app on the Apple TV appears to be affected by whatever changes or block that's made to the service at night. It should be in Now TV's own interest to sort it.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Exact same issue for me 😟 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User@Anonymous User@Anonymous User

Sorry to hear that your experiencing this issue with your Apple TV.

Can I just check that you are all based within the UK ?

Would you also let me know what generation of ATV you have.

Thanks

Andy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm based in the UK and I'm using the 4th generation Apple TV.  I've noticed that my Now TV app stops working every evening after around 8 pm onwards.  The location shouldn't be a problem when the service works in the morning and afternoon.  Why would any company apply a geo-block at night and not in the morning or afternoon?  Besides the Now TV service works all the time on my phone. The problem is just with my Apple TV. The current state of the Now TV service is unsatisfactory and unreliable.  It would most certainly deter me from buying future Now TV passes.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same issue here! Does not work on ATV box in the evening/night but does work on all other devices... Very frustrating!

(based in the UK also)