cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV Smart Box on LG Smart TV

I would like to be able to watch Sky Sports in HD on my 4K LG Smart TV (LG 43UH661V).  If I sign on to the Now TV App  on the LG Smart TV it does not allow me to purchase a 'Boost', and Now TV Help states that LG Smart TVs with WebOS do not support HD.

Can I bypass the Now TV App in the WebOS 3.0, by linking a Now TV Smart Box to a spare HDMI on the LG Smart TV, signing on to my Now TV account via the Box, activating my 'Sky Sports pass' and purchasing a 'Boost' to playback Now TV in HD on the LG Smart TV via the HDMI?

Is there any reason why this won't work?  If so, I assume that the same principle applies to the Now TV Smart Stick?

• LG
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Also, have you tried a fresh NowTV App download of your LG TV and after installing the new NowTV App switch the TV off on the mains plug for a minute ?

If after doing a logout and log back in on the NowTV App on your television and there is no sign of the Boost Pass then i am baffled because the NowTV Help articles say LG Web OS smart TV's support Boost apart from the 50fps playback.

The help articles don't mention any LG Web OS model numbers that i could see that doesn't support a Boost Pass.

If it was me i would look at an external NowTV box or Stick anyway with the HD Boost Pass purely on the HD 50fps playback alone and based on the information you have given me i would have thought the NowTV Box or Stick would work on your NowTV account with Boost.

If the NowTV Stick or Box doesn't work send it back for a refund.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Do you have a Boost Pass already active on your account or have you used the Boost Pass before ?

if not, before going any further can you double check under My Account > Passes & Vouchers whilst logged in on here if you have an option to either start a 7 day free Boost Trial or buy a Boost Pass.

Do that first and report back.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I have used the Now TV App on WebOS to activate Sky Sports passes in the past, and the options in the App do not provide for a Boost pass. I understand that this is a well-known constraint with all LG Smart TVs that run webOS. The picture quality for Sky Sports channels isn't that good in standard format.
I'm considering purchasing either a Now TV Smart Box or Stick bundle with a Sports pass, and assume that once I've activated the pass on the Now TV device in my account, I'll be able to purchase and activate 'Boost'. All being well, I'm hoping that I can simply bypass the webOS App in the LG Smart TV by playing back Sky Sports in HD via a HDMI port.
Hopefully, this makes sense.
Saint1976
Elite 3

I have no idea what happened to my comment. It seems to have disappeared.

LG TV's support boost BUT the sport is not at 50 frames per second, instead being 25fps.

There may be other reasons why you can't see an option for boost. Like @schnapps said, go to your account, passes and vouchers and let us know if you actually have the option there to activate the 7 day free trial or buy a boost pass. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've signed on to my account on WebOS and there are 5 pass options, but not a 'Boost'. I selected and activated a 7 day free trial for 'Kids' to see whether the 'Boost' option in passes appeared.  It still isn't displayed anywhere as an option.

I can't see a 'Redeem' button on the passes screen either - I assume that I'm a Combo Customer whatever that is!

Back to my original point, is there any way that I can watch HD content for Now TV Sports on my LG Smart TV in a similar quality to the FreeSat and FreeView HD channels?  Would a HDMI-connected Now TV Smart Box or Stick do the trick?

Thanks.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

You need to answer the questions in my first post.

The reason i asked the questions, is because some old legacy NowTV Combo customers can't buy a Boost Pass or use the Boost service (irrespective of what device they use).

If there is no option to start a Boost Pass under My Account > Passes & Vouchers section whilst logged in on here, then this suggests to me you are a Combo customer 😠.

I was also told Combo customers can't see the green "Redeem a Voucher" button towards the top of their Passes & Vouchers screen page.

II was also told by a NowTV Staff Member that the Combo Customers where being ported across to the newer NowTV account system that would see all the other benefits that Combo customers don't currently get.

Reading the forum it looks like there are still Combo customers out there that can't get HD Boost 😠.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Another question if you are not a NowTV legacy Combo customer that took out a combined Broadband, Phone and TV package more than two years ago.

Then are you a BT TV customer ?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

You need to check the information that i asked for on the NowTV website by logging into your account and going to the Passes & Vouchers section and not via your TV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Yes I'm a long term BT customer, and I have one of the older BT packages with lots of discounts. I've been told by BT that I need to change the bundle to a much more expensive Flex Bundle over a new 24-month contract in order to be able to add-on a Now TV pass. This is why I'm looking at other options to receive Sky Sports for 2 months in HD.
I've checked my account on the Now TV website and all the options including 'Redeem a Voucher' in green are there.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Not familiar with BT TV, but i would have thought that you would need to alter your existing TV package or upgrade to their HD Boost service on your BT TV account.

Maybe get in touch with BT for further assistance (click on the link below for further BT contact details).

https://help.nowtv.com/article/contact-bt 

The only other way around it (i would guess) would be for you or a family member to create another new separate NowTV account purely for NowTV Sports Passes and the HD Boost.

Where you would be charged directly by NowTV and not through BT (though i am not suggesting that you go down this road and don't know if it would be viable in your case).

if it was possible, you would have to keep signing in and out of devices when swapping between accounts.

I don't encourage multiple accounts, because a lot of people can't seem to manage them properly and lose track of passes and outgoing payments then blame NowTV.

I would be more comfortable that you speak to BT TV directly on this matter on your options.