cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV Boost - Roku

Hi all,

I usually use now tv with boost on a roku stick. 

been absolutely fine until today when I watched and none of the sports channels are. Dolby 5.1 or 50fps. 

switched on Samsung app and it’s working fine on there. 

anyone know of roku is having issues with boost currently?

11 REPLIES 11
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

To ask the IT question, have you tried to delete and reinstall the app?

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes did that. Noticed then my roku stick had defaulted back to auto on the display instead of 4k@60 meaning it wasn’t outputting the 50fps so sorted that now. 
however, 5.1 surround sound is not working on now tv at all. Tried all settings. Everything else eg Netflix and Amazon etc all work without issue. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Unfortunately I don’t have a Roku stick to confirm the settings.

@schnapps  are you able to provide any help? As I don’t think a factory reset of the stick is required, but it might just do the trick to resolve it? 

Assuming this is what you done?

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-adjust-audio-settings

To select surround sound:

• From your Box or Stick homepage, scroll down to the bottom and select Settings, then Audio.
  • The Audio Mode should be set to Autoand HDMI set to Dolby D+.
FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User @gavs82008 

My 5.1 surround sound system is currently decommissioned for a few months and currently got the Roku Stick Plus plugged directly into the television so i can't test the 5.1 surround sound with my Boost Membership.

Sounds like you done the basic stuff by going into the My Account section of the NOW App and enabled "Surround Sound" .

Gone into the Roku Stick Audio Settings and played around with the different sound options ( from memory mine was all set to Auto).

You could try pressing the star option button on the Roku Remote when watching NOW content and play around with the on screen pop up volume option menu.

Other than that maybe try a forced software update or remove and reinstall the NOW App on the Roku Stick.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

My Roku Stick Plus is set to Auto in the Display Stick Settings, with Automatic Adaptive Frame Rate enabled in the Stick Advanced System Settings.

Using these settings above you will get 50hz smooth playback when watching NOW content.

Should you leave the Stick Display settings at forced 4K 60hz, then when watching NOW content it will refresh at 60hz and will introduce stutter to the picture.

Best leave it on Auto if the Auto detect is picking up the correct display capabilities of your television.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, yes I already have adaptive picture setting switched on so it does change from 60hz to 50hz. 

what had happened was my roku stick defaulted to 4k hdr @30 and with this setting it will not run at 50fps in 1080p content so changing to just 4k worked. 

I do wish the firestick app also had adaptive switching enabled for the now tv app but still doesn’t automatically switch and it stutters so have to change the setting to 50hz and back to auto once finished with now tv. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If the Stick Display reverted to 4K 30 hz then it sounds to me that the HDMI setting on the television changed from something like Enhanced (4K 60hz) to Standard HDMI (4K 30 hz).

Where on some television brands you need to go into the HDMI feature (both my Philips and Hisense 4K TV's have this to get the highest picture and sound output).

it sounds like you have the 4K 50hz or 60hz sorted 👍.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeah the 4k 50fps issue is sorted it’s just the 5.1 issue that’s the problem now. Hopefully they will sort it soon. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ok so under the last firmware, 5.1 was working on roku (but only when you put a channel on and then switched channel and switched back to channel you wanted) however, the UI was extremely slow. 

good news is that the UI has now been upgraded to the latest (which was already available on Samsung and fire sticks etc) and it’s no longer slow and is much more responsive. 

HOWEVER, the 5.1 sound is now completely lost again and everything thing I have tried just doesn’t work and everything plays in stereo only. 

What’s going on, why is there issues with all different devices? Xbox I believe the 5.1 works but they haven’t enabled 50fps on that device so not really an option.