cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV App on Android TV / Google TV

Now an app exists for Sony TV's running Android TV 7 or greater can we expect this to expand to other Android TV devices like the new Google TV or Nvidia Shield?

43 REPLIES 43
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I am assuming when you posted for the first time on the NowTV Forums, that you went into your NowTV online account on here under My Account > Manage Account > Settings & Pins and setup a Parental Pin ?

You can then switch off the Parental Pin for NowTV on Demand content and will only be asked for a Parental Pin when watching certain live NowTV channels before the watershed.

Have a read of this help link article below (just in case you missed it).

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-a-parental-pin 

https://help.nowtv.com/article/change-payment-pin-parental-pin-settings 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

I think the PIN you need to set is the NowTV Parental PIN, and you can’t do this on the TV.

So sign into NowTV.com in your browser, go to My Account/Manage account/Account Summary (with the ‘hamburger’ thingy)/My details & settings/Settings & PINS/Parental PIN, and set it there.

After this, things should work.

And you had better look again at whatever it was you set on the TV, to make sure that is OK 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi there, the one I set on the TV is working cos I went to watch a movie &
it asked for it & was fine when I put it in but when I goto nowtv & try to
put it in it just comes up red & won't accept it... Why is this do u know?
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I have no idea why your NowTV Parental Pin doesn't work when watching live NowTV channels if you followed the dedicated NowTV help articles that i previously posted.

Have you tried deleting the NowTV App off your Sony Smart TV and try a fresh version of the App, also maybe unplug the power to the TV at the mains socket for say 2 minutes to see if that makes a difference (which i doubt).

Unless another NowTV Sony Smart TV on the forum knows the answer, then you really need to contact NowTV live chat.

Have you got any other devices (from the link below) apart from the Sony Smart TV just to see if the NowTV Parental Pin works on those other devices ?

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now-tv 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User  @schnapps 

Was that watching a movie directly on the TV, and not via NowTV, by any chance?

If so, then yes that would need the Sony Parental PIN.

But watching a movie on NowTV would need the NowTV Parental PIN.

The use of Parental PINs is mandated by Ofcom, for any service that might show post-watershed media live before the watershed, so you will need as many of them as there are services that supply you with such media.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi there my friend thanks for your help.. I just wanted u 2 know that I am grateful as I have mental health problems & sometimes struggle with all this tech stuff(well that's wot I call il lol) but yeah thanx.. Just to let you know I eventually found out the default pin & was kicking myself that I hadn't thot of it myself lol it was 0000!!

Anyways that's that 1 sorted but while am here u seem to know quite a lot about this nowtv so I hope u don't mind if I ask you something else? 

My 7 day trial for entertainment /movies & boost ends on Thursday & so far I have not set up a payment pin.. What exactly is a payment pin? Also I am obviously looking to get it for as cheap as possible & I wondered if you could point me in the right direction for this as 25 a month is quite expensive for the 3 packages... Am I allowed to get for example entertainment & boost one month & then the following change to a different package?

Also what is the cheapest way to get this service? 

& lastly do u think that nowtv is better or has much the same stuff on it as Netflix?

I have never had any of them b4 & am just looking for someone else's opinion.. I hope U don't mind & understand what I mean!

Best wishes Mark

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Glad you got the Parental Pin sorted and can now watch live NowTV channels that asks for the Parental Pin.

With regards to a Payment Pin this is an additional security layer to prevent other members of the household accidentally buying passes on the NowTV playback devices (a prime example is kids).

With regards to your 7 day NowTV free trial if they finish tomorrow i would cancel all of them now.

Two reasons, when in the last 24 hours of the trial or pass coming to an end the cancel button will be suspended when the next due payment is pending on the NowTV system.

The other reason if you are looking for a retention deal, sometimes cancelling your pass or passes will generate a short term discounted deal offer for a number of months (not guaranteed but always worth trying when your passes are coming to the end).

Only you can decide if NowTV is the streaming service for you (i subscribe to NowTV, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video mainly because the content i want to watch is not available on one particular service).

I am more of a movie and sports watcher, but subscribe to NowTV Entertainment purely for Sky Atlantic where i would say about 90% of my NowTV Entertainment shows are on Sky Atlantic.

RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

Everything that @schnapps said, and like him, I have several subscriptions. Netflix has a lot of stuff, and they undoubtedly know how to run a reliable service much better that NowTV manage to, but they don’t have much of the stuff that NowTV get first (and vice versa).

Personally, I’m not big on Sports so I don’t have that pass, and I think the movie selection is rather limited (about 1,000, when my book has over 20,000 listed), so we only have that at Christmas, or when there’s an offer. But Entertainment is cracking good value. And we have Boost, for the HD (which doesn’t look much different) and the 5.1 sound (big difference, if you have a home cinema system).

We have Amazon because we have Prime for the deliveries, but we don’t like how few movies and programmes are actually free; both NowTV and Netflix score highly with us here, because if you have the subscription and they have the item, there’s never any extra to pay.

Yes, you can dip in and out of the passes month by month, only ever paying for what you need. 

The scope for getting NowTV cheaper is narrowing; used to be you could go to any supermarket and buy passes cheaper than the monthly subscription cost, but those have stopped now.

It also used to be that you could buy a stick with bundled passes, come home, load them, throw the stick away and still come out ahead, but those days are gone too 😢

So about the only trick left is not to just keep subscribing month by month, but to start a cancel before your month is up, and see if you get a retention offer; and try to run exclusively on those.

But even retention offers seem to be getting less generous now.....

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Trial manager confirms there are no plans for this on the horizon.

Seems like someone's got to the hassle of having exclusivity with Sony TV

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps I totally agree about Sky Atlantic one of the best decisions Sky ever made making that channel and not allowing Virgin to use it. 

@Anonymous User 

if that is true it’s a sad shame but I could see the potential advantage Sony would have in doing that so they can say they offer all the U.K. Streaming Apps natively like LG and Samsung.