cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jimmynox87
Advocate

No subtitles on app via BT box?

How come on there are no subtitles on Now TV app through the BT TV box?

Will they ever come? 

7 REPLIES 7
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Jimmynox87 

Is your billing for NOW through BT?

If so then best to direct that question to BT.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@Jimmynox87 

I can confirm that the Now app on YouView boxes does not support subtitles.

This is an enduring mystery to which both YouView and Now decline to supply an answer.

YouView boxes are very good at showing subtitles on broadcast programmes and all other apps except the Now one.

It does not matter if the box is branded YouView, BT, TalkTalk or Huawei, the situation is the same.

It is also the same no matter who your ISP is.

The only way to get subtitles on YouView boxes is to have BT Broadband, BT TV, and one or more Now Memberships via BT, and watch the live Now channels that BT supply over the internet.

But if your sole source of Now programmes is a YouView box, and you need subtitles, then I recommend a Roku Express or Amazon Firestick, on both of which subtitles on Now are fully supported.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Only noticed this morning when watching some live content via the NOW App on my BT Youview box that subtitles are now available for the live channel streams (not sure if this was a recent addition where it's been a while since I have used my Youview box for watching live content through the NOW App).

https://help.nowtv.com/article/can-i-watch-with-subtitles 

Still no subtitles on the BT Youview box for on Demand content though via the NOW App.

RoyB
Legend

Thanks @schnapps 

So I must amend the posting above to read (repeating it as editing isn’t available):-

@Jimmynox87 

I can confirm that the Now app on YouView boxes does not support subtitles on On Demand programmes, though it does on live ones.

This is an enduring mystery to which both YouView and Now decline to supply an answer.

YouView boxes are very good at showing subtitles on both broadcast programmes and on demand on all other apps except the Now one.

It does not matter if the box is branded YouView, BT, TalkTalk or Huawei, the situation is the same.

It is also the same no matter who your ISP is.

The only way to get subtitles on Now on YouView boxes is to watch the live channels only, whether in the Now app or via BT TV, if you have that.

But if your sole source of Now programmes is a YouView box, and you need subtitles on On Demand programmes, then I recommend a Roku Express or Amazon Firestick, on both of which subtitles on Now, live and on demand, are fully supported.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
RoyB
Legend

@schnapps 

Just tried, and I can’t get subtitles on any live Now channels, even though all the programmes say ‘S’.

Not on the Now app on a YouView box, where you press the Delete/Sub button on the remote, nor native on this LG TV where it is supposed to use the Subtitles setting from the TV, which is On, and nor from the Roku Express connected to the TV, where it is supposed to use the Subtitles setting on the Roku.

I can turn subtitles on for White Lotus 2 on demand on the Roku, from Pause, though this isn’t picking up the central Roku setting.

Am I doing something wrong? If so what is it?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @RoyB 

On my BT Youview box Model DTR-T4000, when on the live channels from the NOW App press the OK or information button on the remote and the channel info banner should pop up.

Then towards the far right on the pop up info banner screen, hopefully there is a bubble speech icon to click on, then it should give you the option for English subtitles to select.

Only tried on the live Sky Sports channels and a couple of live NOW Entertainment channels via the NOW App.

When you triggered English subtitles on the live channels it should automatically stay on when subtitles are available on the particular live channel if subtitles are supported on that live content.

RoyB
Legend

@schnapps 

Thanks, and I can confirm that works.

I don’t know if what you described about pressing OK  or i is given anywhere else on the Help, but certainly in the link you gave above, it tells you what to do when you get the speech bubble OK, but completely forgets to tell you how to make the speech bubble appear.

@Simon-J, it would be very useful if the above link, and any like it, were corrected to add the essential extra step that @schnapps describes here.