cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

No sign in screen using the NOW app on Roku device

I've installed the NOW TV app on my Roku device but when I play it I don't get a sign on screen. I get a screen that says "not a member scan the QR code or visit the website"

Any idea how I can sign into the NOW app please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I've installed the NOW TV app on my Roku device but when I play it I don't get a sign on screen. I get a screen that says "not a member scan the QR code or visit the website"

Hi @Anonymous User 

go down to the bottom of the Now app home screen. There your find the option for 'my account , highlight it and then press okay. You should then be prompted for your login details. Assuming that you've already set up your now account. You can sign in using the details you used to sign up

Hope this helps 😀

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User 

go down to the bottom of the Now app home screen. There your find the option for 'my account , highlight it and then press okay. You should then be prompted for your login details. Assuming that you've already set up your now account. You can sign in using the details you used to sign up

Hope this helps 😀

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for replying.

I shall try this when I get home tonight.

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User on the screen that shows the qr code, there should be a little cross that you can highlight using the directional buttons. Highlight it and press ok. It should then take you to the home page and follow the instructions @commanda6 has posted 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

I didn't see a cross anywhere but went through all 3 screens and on the final screen I clicked on close and I was then presented with the channel screen which didn't happen before.

Clicked on a program and was presented with the sign in screen 😀.

I'm going to have to simplify my password though as it's a right ball ache signing in with the remote as one of you chaps mentioned.

Thank you for your help everyone 👍

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Thank you for your help everyone 👍

you're very welcome @Anonymous User 

While the current setup of not being prompted to sign in straightaway may seem a bit strange. I can understand why they do it. It lets people see what they have available in the library straightaway, which helps people decide whether they want to sign up

And yes, you're right. The current sign in method is a pain in the backside, but from an account security point of view. I would recommend you don't simplify your password , you won't need the sign in that often as the app should remember who you are from now on until you either delete it or sign out yourself.

Changing the sign in method to watch myself or @Saint1976 or Roy suggested above would help encourage people to use strong passwords, which would be a good thing.

Saint1976
Elite 3

On reflection, this has come up on the forum dozens of times.

I'm wondering if any of the super users could feed back that the screen with the qr code also needs a big text box that says something along the lines of "already have a Now membership or account? Click here for your homepage and to sign in!"

RoyB
Legend

@Saint1976 

Even if it did that, you would still be painstakingly filling in the windows on your TV with point and click from your remote, which is far from the best tool for the job.

Wouldn't it be better for Now to do as other streaming providers do, and have the QR code take you to a browser screen where you could add your details with a decent keyboard interface, and have that feed back to the TV or other device you are using?

Much like the BBC do now with the iPlayer, except that using the QR code, and the interface with it that Now already have, would be even more streamlined than the BBC approach, where you have to manually navigate to the required page on the BBC website.

Certainly, that’s what I suggested should be done.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@RoyB wrote:

Wouldn't it be better for Now to do as other streaming providers do, and have the QR code take you to a browser screen where you could add your details with a decent keyboard interface, and have that feed back to the TV or other device you are using?

Much like the BBC do now with the iPlayer, except that using the QR code, and the interface with it that Now already have, would be even more streamlined than the BBC approach, where you have to manually navigate to the required page on the BBC website.

It seems you and I are thinking in a similar way yet again @RoyB 😀

Saint1976
Elite 3

@commanda6 @RoyB both valid suggestions and from memory that's exactly how it used to work with Now devices and my Roku (although it's been a while since I set it up so may be wrong).

There were countless threads here with people saying the website wouldn't except the code/pin generated and they were going around in circles.

It seems that Now are determined to run an advertisement with the qr code sending users to the offers page. My suggestion was a way of simply combining the 2, an offers link and a way to bypass it. Perhaps 2 qr codes but then the screen will be even messier.

Either way, it's not an ideal system and only serves to confuse people. Hence the number of threads asking how to get past the qr code.