cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

No Live Channels/Streaming

Took delivery of a new Sony A90J at launch a couple of months ago.

On-demand content is available and works, live channels do not.

The TV's operating system is GoogleTV and the app claims it is a beta version.

I've uninstalled it, reinstalled it, forced stop and cleared cache, cleared data and resigned in, as well as clearing the TV's stored cache and resetting the TV - nothing works.

As soon as you launch a live channel, any live channel, you get approximately two or three seconds of sound and then no more, as well as a frozen picture.

I have cinema, entertainment and boost. I have 67Mbs down and 17Mbs up and never had this issue on my LG C9 with the NowTV app. Nor do I with any other app on the A90J.

15 REPLIES 15
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If @gavs82008 or any other forum member can't help further, then try NOW live chat.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-complaint 

I reckon it something to do with the Beta NOW App being uploaded on your television from the Sony Apps Store.

I have only seen the Beta Now App on the Google Store which is an option for Android smartphones & tablets only.

Normally NOW don't offer Beta software, unless you are on a NOW trial from my understanding & experience (might be wrong).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @schnapps 

Will give chat a whirl once I've done the plug pulls etc. Wife is busy online and so I daren't touch the router (yet).

It's just the app that comes pre-loaded and it's the same one that is re-installed when prompted. Not part of any beta program and I've already contacted Sony, who advised to contact the vendor.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Will be interesting to see if any Sony Smart TV owner on the Community Forum can confirm if they are running the same software version trouble free.

Because you can access your on Demand NOW content via the App i don't think it's the wrong regional NOW App intended for Republic of Ireland which has mistakenly been loaded on your television (assuming you are based in the UK).

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps 

Indeed, the BBC changed the rules re the TV licence when they noticed that Live streaming on other apps was being used more now. 

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
ukbobboy
Legend

@gavs82008  @schnapps 

Guys

Although I still have a TV license, I feel as if I'm being ripped off because I hardly ever watch the BBC or the iPlayer and I can't remember the last time I actually watched live TV.

In the past, I used to believe the TV license was a good idea, especially when those David Attenborough inspired nature programs were shown, but in recent years the BBC has been very profligate with license payers money and because of this I no longer think they should be able to collect this "tax" from me or anyone else anymore.

This was published back in 2015:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/559715/BBC-told-cut-waste-lose-licence-fee-must-account-every-penn...

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply @gavs82008 .

Tried all of that previously and it has no positive affect I'm afraid.