cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

No 4K streaming through the app

So i have installed NoW TV app on my new OLED LG TV and ... it cant stream 4K! Only boring HD. Epic fail! Good buy now tv till you fix this!

9 REPLIES 9
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

So V

You didn't know that Now TV doesn't do 4K?  A little bit of research could have revealed to you that little fact, still they may upgrade to 4K sometime in the future but exactly when is unknown.

UK Bob

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

To highlight what @ukbobboy  has said, Sky only recently introduced HDR for their Sky TV over the last couple of years. Considering Now TV literally only got 1080p and 5.1 within the last year, the chances of Now TV getting 4K/HDR content anytime soon is slim to none. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
AlexB83
Scholar 2

I'd be shocked if we got this within the next 2 years. Sky want people to subscribe to sky Q and and 4k is a feature which attracts people to it. now tv is sort of a flexible lite version 

nst
Elite

@Anonymous User 

I appreciate you have probably just made this account to have a whinge...

But really....!!  as others have said....  NowTV isn't, and never has been a 4K streaming service.  If you'd have spent 2 minutes researching before you subscribed you'd have been well aware of that.

Should they be?  Of course they should in 2020 when others have been doing it routinely for years.   However as others have said they only just started 1080p and 5.1 a year ago and even now that service is a paid option add-on and not available on all platforms - even platforms that are perfectly technically capable.

so.. "Only boring HD. Epic fail! Good buy now tv till you fix this!" is quite funny really.  Firstly due to your spelling mistake... you said that NowTV is a "Good buy" - bit of an own goal there.  Secondly.... why anyone would subscribe to a service without knowing what it was capable of.... well more fool you.  Dont let the door hit you on the way out... and I suspect that unless you pay out for Sky's premium services i.e. Sky Q (the only place they seem to want 4K) ... NowTV will be deliberately kept as its 'poorer cousin' for a long time to come.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

To the OP

Let’s just see what happens around November of 2025 shall we? 😜😂😜

That’s when I see the next big overhaul for Sky/NowTV.

So why would I say November 2025? Well the Sky Q service would be going on 10 years at that point, although it was unveiled in 2015.

Sky/NowTV like mid November (typically) to make Product/Service announcements based on their history, so why not again in 2025?

I think the biggest thing will be Sky’s premium TV service will merge with NowTV offering a similar tier system to something like Hulu in the US with options like streaming only, streaming + live TV on a 30 day rolling and 18 month contract (this is only speculation on my part though).

How everything will shake out ultimately we shall see but for the interim I will echo other people's sentiments, do your research and we only got HD streaming with multichannel audio in mid/late November of 2019.

If you want 4K content from Sky so bad cause you feel hard done by or whatever get a Sky Q subscription... simples 😜

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I had an email recently saying that now tv has the option of paying extra for 1080p HD. Unbelievable.   Thankfully I watch most things on Netflix (which I pay for 4K) and Apple TV+, Disney plus - all of which are 4K. 

this just shows how backwards nowtv is. 

just trying their updated Apple TV (that they left without updates for years). Maybe it will actually remember where I got to in a series!  Or do they charge extra for that?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

The Boost membership was added to NOW over a year ago. So it’s nothing “new” as you put it. 

What people always forget is that NOW is a product from Sky, who charge £5 for HD on top of their standard TV package. Charging for HD shouldn’t shock anyone but it does.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Actually I didn’t say anything about it being new. 

However, paying extra for HD content is the sort of thing you got a decade ago and quite laughable in 2020 or 2021. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Apologies you said “recently”.

Either way, Sky still charge £5 for HD on their package. 
Whilst I agree with you completely that HD should be standard for NOW, until the Comcast business plan fully takes off for Sky the “charge” for HD will remain.