cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

New Roku Players Hitting the UK 18th October 2017

According to this Engadget article, Roku will be officially offering to us in the UK two new players from the 18th of October 2017 Smiley Happy

There will be the Roku Streaming Stick + with 4K & HDR at RRP of £80, together with the Roku Express for a RRP of £30 Smiley Happy

Not sure how accurate the article is, if so i might be purchasing a Roku Streaming Stick + to replace my ageing Roku stick Smiley Happy

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/11/roku-uk-4k-streaming-stick/

265 REPLIES 265
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy 

It's an illness, at least that's what my wife tells me 😂😂

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Tell her it’s her fault for saying buy, buy, every time one of you went out alone 🙂

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'll leave that in your capable hands @RoyB  😎

ukbobboy
Legend

@RoyB  @Anonymous User 

Roy

You know your advice to Robert, if taken, will get him into a world of pain.

Angry Wife with Rolling Pin.jpg

:grinning_face::grinning_face:

Still, Robert knows what he can and can't get a way with.😀

:grinning_face::grinning_face:

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy @RoyB 

Still, Robert knows what he can and can't get a way with

Pretty sure I'm on thin ice 🤕

th.jpg

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I thought I ought to update here as I was so scathing of the Roku stick +. Following the latest system update (June 7), auto refresh rate now seems to work. Sometimes I still just get a blank screen, sometimes I get HDCP 2.2 errors and have to restart, but most of the time it works. And it works ok. No noticeable judder, picture is as good as Youview box and TV's own iplayer app.

Regarding the BBC iPlayer picture being better quality on Youview than the Roku: I changed my location to London on the Youview box to get local news, and the BBC1 picture quality dropped, to the same as the Roku. Turns out you can only watch BBC1 HD if you set your location to England, Scotland, Wales or NI. If you set location to any of the local regions, BBC1 is only in SD. And I can't find a way to change my location back to England. I can do it on my laptop, but Roku, Youview and LG TV apps don't have England as a choice. Anyone here know how to change it? I've emailed the BBC...waiting for their reply.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

If it has taken a Roku update to partially sort your display issues I'd surmise the issue definitely lies with your tv and not the Stick+, especially as you are still experiencing the odd issue here and there even yet. The blank screen issue is definitely caused by your tv and not Roku.

Thankfully though you are now enjoying your Roku, the minor niggles hopefully not spoiling your enjoyment too much.

Regarding iplayer, the only way to select England is to watch via laptop or computer. None of the apps, regardless of platform, allow you to do this, you only get the choices of Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, and the English regions, as you have found out 😐 It's something I'm sure most of us would like to see fixed. Personally I'd choose any of the 'nations' available as you can always search for programmes you are aware of as everything is available anyway, at least until such times as the BBC might 'fix' this.

Thanks for updating us and happy viewing on your Roku now it's performing for you as it should 😀

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The weird thing is, the Youview box was definitely showing me BBC1 in HD, but nothing but the BBC trailers (sausage dog owners. dancers, surfers etc) when local news was on, right up to the point I foolishly changed location. Once I changed location, no way back, but the default for the Youview box was to show me BBC1 in HD.......I'm not sure what it thought my location was, or how it worked it out, but it definitely was not BBC Wales, Scotland or NI. So there must be a setting, the setting it was on by default, where BBC1 HD works, but no local news. What IS that setting? I'd rather that than what I have at the moment.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I should probably also mention I watched iplayer Wimbledon centre court matches in UHD HDR on the Roku+, too, when my TV and Youview box iplayer apps consistently had trouble locking on to the UHD stream.

I am very impressed with the picture quality and performance of the Roku+. Who'd have thought?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User 

London is the default location for the iplayer.

You would have had issues with HDR on the Youview box as they don't do HDR. Apparently there is a new HDR compatible BT Youview box on the horizon.

Can't explain why you were having issues locking on to the HDR Wimbledon trials with your tv unless it's because your particular model isn't compatible with the BBC trials as it doesn't appear in this compatibility list https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/uhd-connected-tv and therefore doesn't accept the HLG standard used on the BBC HDR trials. That would be a major fail for a tv only manufactured in 2018 😔

Obviously the Roku is connecting via wireless, is your tv also connected via ethernet the same as the Youview box? You may have an issue between your cable/devices and your router if it isn't an HLG compatibility issue?!? Just a thought 😀

So pleased you're enjoying your Roku performance as much as the rest of us now and your tv is finally accepting the 50Hz/60Hz changes. Result!!!