cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

New Roku Players Hitting the UK 18th October 2017

According to this Engadget article, Roku will be officially offering to us in the UK two new players from the 18th of October 2017 Smiley Happy

There will be the Roku Streaming Stick + with 4K & HDR at RRP of £80, together with the Roku Express for a RRP of £30 Smiley Happy

Not sure how accurate the article is, if so i might be purchasing a Roku Streaming Stick + to replace my ageing Roku stick Smiley Happy

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/11/roku-uk-4k-streaming-stick/

265 REPLIES 265
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps 

The last time this happened it needed a fix from Netflix which they did after much reporting directly to them. From your link a Roku rep posts, I followed up with our team, and it looks like this is the current intended behavior as of OS 9.1. The 'Auto-adjust display refresh rate' feature no longer applies to the Netflix channel at this time, so I'd say this needs to be followed up by those of us who use Netflix with the company itself.

Thankfully I have the Netflix app also built in to my TV but I know that won't apply to everyone.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, the Roku is powered from the mains, I've tried all HDMI inputs, all with the same results. Auto refresh enabled, no picture. I had NOW TV online chat support confirm the NOW smart box does support 50hz, why wouldn't it, it's a UK TV box. I've archived the chat just in case....BBC iplayer on my youview box (no aerial, just internet) looks as good as digital TV, I don't know how your Roku is beating that. My Roku looks like it's inserting black frames, which is why, I suspect, the picture looks duller. And the judder, of course....maybe it's the TV inserting black frames, although I've got all the smart motion stuff off...

TV handles Netflix and Prime content perfectly. With it's own apps, through the Roku+ stick, through apple TV, through the Youview box. Whatever the content it plays it perfectly.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User The NowTV box does 50Hz as does the Roku Streaming Stick+ as they are basically identical except in physical form.

My concern would be your tv not accepting the 50Hz signal from the box if it's incapable of doing it from the stick. I guess it will be a case of 'buy it and see'. I'm at a total loss as to why your tv isn't auto adjusting to 50Hz and would still tend to believe it's a fault with the tv. I'm not sure if you've said so already but have you been onto the LG UK website to see if maybe there's a firmware upgrade for your particular set, or contacted LG Support to see if they can get to the bottom of the auto refresh issue with your tv?

My Roku outputs a much more vibrant iplayer picture than that of my TVs built in iplayer app, Youview box etc. It also beats the NowTV branded devices for NowTV output.

If you can do your picture settings independently for each of your HDMI inputs I would experiment with turning Smooth Motion on at a low setting to begin with. Although the 'general' advice is to leave such settings off there are times when it is needed, so may be an option to try, especially as your tv is producing judderring pictures from your Roku (although again that could just be your tv not adjusting frame rate properly). When I view Sports content from NowTV which is only output at 25fps I have to turn my smooth motion setting to a mid position to allow for the inferior frame rate Sky utilises for sport content on NowTV.

I'm at a loss as to how to assist you any further on this, and I'm not back online until tomorrow, but please let us know how you get on, and maybe someone else will pop along later with the solution you need. It's not something I've seen before with the Stick+ and asking around a few mates last night who also have the Stick+ they also say they are baffled as to why you are getting the results (or lack of) that you're getting with your set up.

Good luck, and I hope this all works out for you as it is a shame you're not getting the same enjoyment from your Stick+ as the rest of us.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Would have thought in the LG Picture settings that turning off Motion Pro (Black Frame insertion) would be possible using the Roku Stick Plus.

I don't own an LG OLED TV, but what i have read that when enabling Motion Pro (Black Frame insertion) the picture goes darker with noticeable flicker and the output is forced at 60hz.

Is it possible to switch off Motion Pro on your LG TV when using the Roku ?

Like i mentioned previously have you access to another TV to test the Roku on for Auto refresh rate ?

Agree with @Anonymous User that the NowTV 4K smart box runs a similar OS to the Roku and you may encounter the same behaviour and results when using the box on your LG TV.

Where both my Roku Plus and NowTV 4K smart box does a fantastic job on 24,25,30,50 & 60hz with my Panasonic TV.

It's a shame that the Netflix App since the software update running OS 9.1 on the Roku is now forcing 60hz where my NowTV 4K smart box running OS 8.1 is still offering me the option to use 24hz.

Anyway hope you get it sorted and goodluck.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I wonder if the Netflix app on Apple TV is still auto refreshing or might it also be stuck at 60Hz. I find it strange that this would now be 'normal' behaviour for Netflix regardless of platform.

I've been toying with the idea for a while of getting an Apple TV 4K (I love tinkering) but from what I read on here NowTV doesn't work so well on it.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

If anybody is looking for a Roku Player, then Currys are doing a flash sale that ends on Tuesday.

Where the Roku Express is selling for £19.99 and the Roku Stick Plus is selling for £39.99.

I own both these devices and for the money they are a cracking bit of kit, especially the Roku Stick Plus with the improved wifi antenna which has never let me down 😁.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm with @schnapps in highly recommending the Roku Stick+ at what is a steal of a price 😀

RoyB
Legend

I’m being dragged to Currys tomorrow with my son to pick up a Philips Hue Twin Colour Bulbs/Hub/Google Home Mini bundle down from £160 to £70 😞

I may not be able to resist the gravitational lure of the Roku Stick+, should one throw itself in front of me 🙂

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB 

Resistance is futile 😀

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User  @RoyB 

Yes, resistance is indeed futile.

I find myself still spending, buying upgrades, etc., when I know I should stop.

I can't help myself.

Help.png

UK Bob