cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

New Roku Players Hitting the UK 18th October 2017

According to this Engadget article, Roku will be officially offering to us in the UK two new players from the 18th of October 2017 Smiley Happy

There will be the Roku Streaming Stick + with 4K & HDR at RRP of £80, together with the Roku Express for a RRP of £30 Smiley Happy

Not sure how accurate the article is, if so i might be purchasing a Roku Streaming Stick + to replace my ageing Roku stick Smiley Happy

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/11/roku-uk-4k-streaming-stick/

265 REPLIES 265
herojan
Expert

Hi @schnapps

well, it does thecframe rate detect right 99% of the time.

i still cant search the Amazon app for 4k content, so sounds like the 4k spotlight channel might be handy.

now just waiting for now tv to provide those 1080p streams.

• Roku Streaming Stick+ | S/W 8.1.0 | Now TV app v3.12.132 | Wifi (DHCP)
• Internet - Plusnet Fibre @ 36M

herojan
Expert

I got the 8.1 update today.

Unfortunately it has forced me to set the stick outout to 1080p, otherwise the TV screen flickers.

😞

• Roku Streaming Stick+ | S/W 8.1.0 | Now TV app v3.12.132 | Wifi (DHCP)
• Internet - Plusnet Fibre @ 36M

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Anyone know how to get the new interface for NowTV on the stick...? My Samsung TVs have updated recently, with the new interface, and having spoken to NowTV, they said I just need to reset, my brand new Roku and it will update... Nope...! Still showing the old interface...

Any thoughts folks...???

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I wasn't even aware of a newer interface layout on the NowTV App on the Roku Stick.

So out of curisoity what's changed on the Samsung NowTV App which you want on the Roku Stick NowTV App ?

When you go into the Roku Stick what firmware version is it saying under Systems > About and what NowTV App software version is showing on the stick by going into the NowTV App under My Account ?

Also have you tried a forced software update by following step 6 in this help guide ?

https://help.nowtv.com/article/Troubleshooting-steps-for-the-Roku-player

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Roku software is 8.1.0 Build 4101-50

NowTV version is 4.6.733

I've just run the 'secret' update youve mentioned, and the old interface is still showing...

Tbh, there is nothing other I want/need in the new interface other than I've got used to the new interface (it just works and lfows better) on my samsung, and feels like a step backwards on the Roku now...

... and the only reason I assumed that Roku would have the new interface was that I beleived they were the same as the NowTV stick, which again, I've assumed would also have the new interface, like the Samsung TVs... and the dude at online chat seemed to say I could get it by resetting...

Maybe I have it wrong then, and Roku dont have the new interface...????

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Looking at the Roku firmware version and NowTV App software version that you have posted you seem to be on the latest up to date version as far has i am aware (which only was released this week).

I don't own a Samsung Smart TV with the inbuilt NowTV App to compare against the Roku Stick Smiley Sad

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Does this mean that Roku aren’t perhaps getting NOW’s updates, thus meaning they might not get the much hoped for 1080 roll out later this year?

When I get in I will try post an image of the new screen layouts

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Images of the new interface on my Samsung TV...IMG_0363.jpgIMG_0364.jpg

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I mainly own Roku players and NowTV boxes and the NowTV App looks virtually identical to me (which you would expect with the tie up between both companies).

I also own an Apple TV 3, but i am not going there about how dated the NowTV interface looks and feels compared to the NowTV App on the Roku's / NowTV branded devices Smiley Sad.

With regards to 1080p playback content due this year from the NowTV service, i am expecting (pure speculation my part) that the NowTV std black box, smart box, smart stick, Roku Stick Plus, Roku 3 and Roku Express (that are all 1080p playback compatible) together with other supported devices will hopefully be on the NowTV 1080p supported list in the future once it has been announced.

Suppose we will have to wait and see about 1080p playback and what devices will be officially supported and if NowTV will be moving away from 2 channel stereo sound for an up to date modern surround sound format.

Yeah if you don't mind i would love to see some screen shot photos of the new NowTV App on the Samsung Smart TV's and appreciate your time uploading some photos on here.

Edit ~ Thanks for posting the two pictures much appreciated and i can see now what you mean by a different / fresher interface App look Smiley Happy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's amazing how quick you get used to something, and going back to teh old interface just seems 'old' now...

I just assumed it would have been a gereral roll out for NOW... Guess not... Well, at least not yet...

Thx