cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

New Roku Players Hitting the UK 18th October 2017

According to this Engadget article, Roku will be officially offering to us in the UK two new players from the 18th of October 2017 Smiley Happy

There will be the Roku Streaming Stick + with 4K & HDR at RRP of £80, together with the Roku Express for a RRP of £30 Smiley Happy

Not sure how accurate the article is, if so i might be purchasing a Roku Streaming Stick + to replace my ageing Roku stick Smiley Happy

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/11/roku-uk-4k-streaming-stick/

265 REPLIES 265
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps Have you applied the "holiday offers" yet? 🙂

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @caseyb1993

To be honest, none of the three Roku Holiday promo offers appeal to me so i am not going to bother.

With my BT TV subscription i have the majority of the channels provided by tvplayer and i also find the picture streaming quality from tvplayer not good enough for me.

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps wrote:

Hi @caseyb1993

To be honest, none of the three Roku Holiday promo offers appeal to me so i am not going to bother.

With my BT TV subscription i have the majority of the channels provided by tvplayer and i also find the picture streaming quality from tvplayer not good enough for me.

I am taking up the TVPlayer offer and maybe the LoveNature one. 🙂

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
chilli2
Elite

A while back i posted this and a spell checker changed why to edgy

[quote]Could this be edgy the standard stick isn't showing any signs of a uk release? globe streamwatch, possibly the next now tv box/stick ?http://techiegadgets.com/telecom/globe/globe-streamwatch-roku-powered-device/[/quote]

which was followed up with this

[quote]

@chilli2 @schnapps @Andy @caseyb1993 @commanda6

Hi Chilli

I'm guessing that this new Roku device will never see the light of day in the UK, nor likely to be released in the US either.

This seems to be aimed, another guess, at the central and south American markets.

UK Bob[/quote]

Now over on Digital Spy, this has been posted under the topic Now TV Stick : https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2252366/now-tv-stick#latest

[quote]Anyone else been selected to trial the new " Now TV Stick " mine arrived this morning, but i'm not allowed to discuss it " outside the household "
 [/quote]

co-incidence???

ukbobboy
Legend

@chilli2

Hi Chilli

Just read your post, it seems to hint at that I am in cahoots with Now TV to keep their forthcoming new product a secret.

If that's what you are thinking then you are wrong, other than being a customer I have no connection with Now TV whatsoever.

Still, I have gone over my post and should really point out what I was thinking at the time, when I looked at the site you linked to I was surprised by the facilities the Roku stick had to offer.  I thought that this new device was a cable killer, as you know in the US cable provides millions of homes with their TV.  I thought that there was no way the US government was going to allow the cable industry to be "slaughtered", after all it provides millions of dollars in tax revenue as well as a good number of jobs.

As for the UK, it was a bit more difficult to see where those new facilities would fit in the UK market.

However, I did not see the Roku stick being offered as a blank "hardware only" slate for Now TV to pick up and rebadge, I just did not see that as a possibility.

Still, as I said before, for me it's all guess work.

UK Bob

chilli2
Elite

Not saying anyone (posting) here is in cahoots just putting pieces together.

The Roku 3 hardware unit spawned a few third party custom hardware boxes, such as the Sky online box(italy), and of course the Now TV box, likwise simlilar (looking) boxes to the Roku 4  in Austraila (telstra box) and the UK ( now tv smart box)

If the Roku ( standard HD) Streaming stick is being re packaged as a Globe Streamwatch stick with custom firmware, then its only logical that this is Rokus hardware partner platform going forwards as its asumed that the Roku 3 based units are out of production, and we will soon see a Roku streaming stick re badged running Now TV's basterdised and crippled  roku firmware .

ukbobboy
Legend

@chilli2

Hi again Chilli

Yes, I do see the logic in your argument that the Roku Stick will form the hardware template for the next generation of  Now TV streaming devices.  

However, I can't see Roku getting rid of the Roku 3 and 4 set-top formats, it's more likely that they'll modernise the design, i.e. like when they updated the Roku Lite/Now TV white boxes to current designs.

UK Bob

chilli2
Elite

Im guessing the Roku 3 is long out of productionm, plus the Roku 3 based Now Tv units are becoming scarce .

as the Roku LT based wite Now Tv box was replaced with the Roku 3 based unit, its likly that the Roku 3 based unit will be replaced with the stick

ukbobboy
Legend

@chilli2

Hey Chilli

Do you honestly see the Stick replacing the set-top units because that would mean Roku users would loose the USB, SD and Ethernet cable ports, those are facilities that some, if not most, Roku users, such as myself, use.

I believe the Stick will compliment, not replace, the set-top models.

UK Bob

chilli2
Elite

Roku have already discontinued the older set top boxes, such as the roku 1,2,3 and 4.

these have been replaced with the

Express

Express+

Streaming Stick

Streaming Stick+

and the Ultra

Only the ultra offers ethernet ( and possibly usb)

however only the Stick+ and Express are beig offered to the UK at the moment, still better than France where its the Express or nothing.

It appears that moving forward, and in the name of o called technological advancement we are being offered less functionality, its a shame the ultra isnt seeing a UK release.

Another thing ive noticed is that the Stick+ in the US features a voice search, however the UK version just appears to have a standard search