cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

New Roku Players Hitting the UK 18th October 2017

According to this Engadget article, Roku will be officially offering to us in the UK two new players from the 18th of October 2017 Smiley Happy

There will be the Roku Streaming Stick + with 4K & HDR at RRP of £80, together with the Roku Express for a RRP of £30 Smiley Happy

Not sure how accurate the article is, if so i might be purchasing a Roku Streaming Stick + to replace my ageing Roku stick Smiley Happy

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/11/roku-uk-4k-streaming-stick/

265 REPLIES 265
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps wrote:

@caseyb1993Are you still happy with your Roku Express ?

@schnapps I most certainly am! I finally have a working app of FunimationNow which I'm buzzing about. 😄

Yeah, I'm glad about the Netflix improvement as well. I just have to link Google Play up to it and I'm done. 🙂

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps The Amazon app interface on my stick+ is different to the one on my Amazon stick. It’s shown as version 6.0 and dated 6 Mar 2017 in the channel store.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for the swift reply.

Yeah going to the Roku Channel store the Amazon Video App Is displaying the same information has you (version 6.0 dated the 6th of March 2017).

Where when i check the Amazon Video App on the Home main page on my Roku Express it says Version 7.1 ?

Sounds like both the new Roku UK players are using the non fire tv style layout Smiley Mad

Downloaded this image from the internet showing a similar UI to my Amazon Video App (obviously ignore the content shown in the thumbnails) .

Amazon-Prime-Instant-Video-Roku-3.png

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @schnapps the interface that I have is the one in the picture and it does show as version 7.1 on the home screen.

chilli2
Elite

Same here, on the older /standard Amazon app, as pictured above, video the new/US amazon app here, looks a little bit like the Now TV app, with the context menu on the left

[video]

The old/UK Amazon app isnt as bad as some though, such as the ITV player

DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

I have just replaced my Roku 2 box with a Roku express.  It seems to work fine so far.  Better than my (old) Roku Stick which got a signal by wi-fi, but not quite well enough to play video reliably without buffering.

I picked mine up from Tesco.  It looks like they're currently in stock on Amazon and Very.  Not sure why Littlewoods are trying to sell them for £39.99 though.

It would be nice if Amazon updated their Roku app to the US-style one in the above video.  The current one is a little clunky in terms of visual style and navigation.  My 2012 Samsung Smart TV has the newer-style app and it works well.

Just as long as they retain the 10-second rewind feature (by pressing the circular arrow on the remote) which brings up subtitles if you missed a piece of dialogue, then automatically turns the subs off again.  A highly useful feature as I'm often going 'what did he say?'

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Looks like Argos are now stocking the Roku Streaming Stick Plus and Express models.

Still pleased with my Roku Express purchase Smiley Happy

chilli2
Elite

Im planning on waiting for now, the purple stick is slow,  but it works.

will wait to see if any so called black friday deals emerge, or other offers come along

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Should there be any Black Friday or Cyber Monday Roku deals floating around i would take a guess that there would be a better price reduction on the Roku Streaming Stick Plus which cost more here than over the US where the Roku Express is the same price if you say one $ to one £ has a general guide.

Hopefully there is a little more wiggle room on the Roku Streaming Stick Plus UK price once the initial demand starts to drop off.

When Roku confirmed the RRP on the Roku Streaming Stick Plus I was expecting it to be sold in the UK for £70 with an identical price to the new Fire TV 3 4K HDR device.

I am awaiting news and price on the new anticipated Fire TV cube box which Amazon supposedly have coming in the pipeline (not sure when, but If it comes to the UK hovering around the £100 mark, then this could possibly be my next purchase replacing my ageing first gen Fire TV box).

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

I posted this review from AVForums of the Roku Streaming Stick Plus in the wrong Roku thread (Doh !)

Here's the link of the review.

https://www.avforums.com/review/roku-streaming-stick-plus-review.14188

Sorry about the double related post, i think this thread is more relevant for the review Smiley Happy

homer-computer-doh.jpg